Filter and sort tab for end user on layout

Can we add filter and sort tabs on layout like search bar So that end user can have customised filter.

For this firstly we will be needing filter input with reference or choice list rather than hard code values.

Also sorting tab can help in controlling ascending or descending order by end user.

Any plan for this ? Please help !

2 Likes

Depending on how bad you need this, there is a workaround that can get you the filters you need.
There are not many different filters a user would need. Think of any shopping website they give you just a few filters, and a few sorts. So you can create pre filtered results and display them as part of a reference.

General instruction
Say you have a sheet which list 100 items and you want to show certain categories and certain sorts. based on the user selection.

First create a new sheet You could call it ā€œSort Menuā€
Then Create some columns
[Name] [Type] [Description] [Reference=SortedSheet:KeyColumn:Multiple]
Then add the name and types of views you want to be able to give to your users as list items
Of course you will need to create a new sheet for each view using the =Query(Sheetname & Sort / filter data)
When the user goes to this Sort Menu sheet, they will see references to the various types of sorts and filtered data. The caveat to this however, ā€œKeep Add & Edit Offā€. If user tries to edit the data that is being queried it will result in lost data.
Hope this helps with the thought process.

This seems like a great ideaā€¦on paper. Would you be so kind as to provide an example? Iā€™m ot sure excatly how to implement this.

https://beqb1.glideapp.io/
Here you go
I did a sample sheet and placed it in a glide app so you can see how it works. You can copy the app and sheet and modify it according to your needs.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I see what you mean aout the caveat. :frowning_face: The sorting methods are sound. However, without editing capabiities, this wonā€™t work in my particular case.

Thank you for sharing your app/guide with the community. :+1:

You can still edit in the user area just not in the filter area. The filter area is just for viewing the results.
If you want to edit or add a person to the list you have to go to the user tab.

This is a good fix. Thank you

Can I double check something with you.
I have a group of oils (4 but can be expanded by admin only) -< with uses or different ways to apply them.

I need user to post the way they use it. So they would choose one Oil, then choose an application, finally upload a picture and some text, then post that to a post sheet.
Question: will the oil chosen, (choice 1) and the application (choice 2) be available if I want to post this to the Post sheet?

If I just have them add (+) to the post sheet I need to include 2 Choice components that where choice ONE should influence the list in Choice 2. So Iā€™ll need to prevent from adding directly from here.

Iā€™ll more than likely try it out today. But if anyone can point me in other directions,ā€¦ that would be great.

Check out Multi-Level Select in https://concepts.glideapp.io/.

The Dynamic List Filter would work for your second option where one choice determines the values in the send choice. You can have the user select their choices before clicking on a form button and then passing those choices into the form using Column Values.

2 Likes

Thanks @Jeff_Hager
From the concepts app I took the solution by making sure there was a reference between oils and applications and then having a tab (with detail view) ā€“ removing everything and adding inline list.
So they ā€˜choseā€™ the oil first then I only need to show the application list with a form button.

2 Likes