Event Registration without forms

Hello. I have created an app that lists multiple events in a calendar view. The supporting sheet is a simple list of date/time, event name, event description.

I’d like to allow users to have a switch / choice where they can say “Yes” or “No” for attending a particular event and have their view of that choice remain on the page for them. (Like a favorite.)

I’d like to be able to go back into the spreadsheet to gauge attendance and report.

I don’t want to use a form because (1) seems like an extra step / bad user experience and (2) I don’t think I can get the form response to persist on the event page.

Any suggestions appreciated.

There’s a feature in staging that I hope is release sometime soon. If it truly is what I think it is, it’s a new column type that will save user specific data in a single column. I have no idea when or if it will be released, but if/when it is, I think it will be a great new feature. This would allow you to have a switch to save a value per user. The only downside is that it would most likely not save any of the selections to the sheet for you to gauge attendance.

Until the User Specific Data column is available, I think your best bet would be to use a form to record attendance to a new sheet.

• On the Event sheet, create a template column to create joined value of event and the word TRUE
  • On the Event sheet, create a template column to create joined value of event and the word FALSE
  • Create a template column on the response sheet to join the event and the users TRUE/FALSE response
  • Create a relation column to link the true template column in the event sheet to the template in the response sheet
  • Create a relation column to link the false template column in the event sheet to the template in the response sheet
  • Create a lookup column to pull back an array list of emails from people who selected the switch to indicate they are attending.
  • Create a lookup column to pull back an array list of emails from people who selected the switch to indicate they are not attending.
  • Using the lookup columns, you can set a visibility condition to hide the form button and show a rich text component that indicates if the user is or is not attending. This takes care of your number (2) concern.
1 Like

Jeff. Thank you for this. It was the perfect solution. I appreciate the quick help.

1 Like

Hi Stefan,
Is it possible to share this solution? I am just starting on this journey, so unsure how to setup.

Thank

I’ll be honest … it’s been several months since I’ve looked at this … let me review what we built and see if I can share the template.

Much appreciated. thanks

Here is the app I created based on the solution provided. I hope it helps:

https://go.glideapps.com/app/hBynhXz54EtN6IpvTwym

Thank you. For some reason the link does not open up. it keeps going forever like attached photo. some permission setting?

Kind regards.

You share the wrong link I’m afraid. That’s the link to edit in your editor, others can’t have access. You can use the “Share” button and copy the public link to your app there.

https://rhetorical-spoon-4169.glideapp.io/

hopefully the above works?

Hi Jeff, Can you explain this a little further. I am having trouble connecting this. I know its probably something simple.

What are you having a problem with?

Thank you Stefan…I have a better understanding now.

Looks like the google sheet is too large to copy the app. Is there anyway you can create a template or something where the copy app would work? I’d appreciate it as this has some excellent features

It’s been a while since I looked at this, and for some reason I couldn’t convert to a proper template. I’m not sure why anymore.