Enhancement to Sign In model to reduce need for 2 apps

I’m not the first to query the user model, but I think this common scenario can be improved quickly.

Based on my experienced building a COVID-19 Initiatives Directory app, using https://freelance.glideapp.io/ as a starter template (thanks @sardamit ).

My app requirements

• People can browse and search for Initiatives, which are tagged into 1 to 3 categories - list/map
  • People can browse Initiatives via Categories
  • People don’t have to sign-in to browse
  • People who are signed in can add Initiatives, with their signed in email = ‘creator’ column
  • Creator of Initiative can Edit/Delete

This was not achievable since:

• Edit filters when Privacy.Sign In = Public, don’t allow check for a ‘column = signed-in user’
  • Can’t limit Add to Signed In users.

I had to create two apps:

• View only - Privacy.Sign In = ‘Public’
  • Admin - Privacy.Sign In = ‘Public with Email’

Since my View app has a burger menu, the View app has a Sign In link.
This allows Email sign-in.
Now I’m signed into the View app, there is a Signed In User

Suggestion:

1. Add checkbox to ‘Edit’ and ‘Add’ tabs ‘Requires Sign In’, below ‘Allow users to (Edit/Add)’
  2. Allow ‘xyz column = signed-in user’ Edit filter when Privacy.Sign In = Public
  3. Explicit checkbox in Settings -> Privacy ‘Allow Sign In’ when Privacy.Sign In = Public
    (show Google Sign In option when True)
    -> Forces Hamburger menu with ‘Sign In’
  4. ‘+’ button for Add on tabs can be shown if not signed in but if #1 + #2 + #3 are True,
    forcing a Sign In first before the Add screen is shown

This will enable one app for easy View only mode and controlled Add/Edit.

1 Like

I think just a prompt for signing in when somebody hits the edit or add buttons should do the trick.

Don’t understand how that works for me as an app maker wanting to control Add/Edit,
if you are proposing ignore all the changes I suggested.