Developing a breeding pedigree app - can't seem to display multiple generations of Relations on the same page

I have a list of animals (650+), and each animal in the list has a mother & a father listed against them. I have created Relations for each column so we can see parentage & progeny.

The parents are included in the same initial list of 650 & they all have their own parents listed against them.

I’m trying to display a 4-generation pedigree chart that simply pulls the data from the initial list, for any selected animal - but I can’t seem to display more than 1 Relation per page.

Is there a different function to use?

Self-taught & learning as I go. Loving the power of this platform, but I’m stuck & can’t find this anywhere in the docs.

Think employee directory, and I want to display a company structure or reports for any given employee…

Thank you.

Getting it displayed in a single chart would be a bit tricky, but you should be able to get nested collections easily enough.

I’m imagining the following:

• Two single relation columns: one that relates the child to the mother, and one that relates the child to the father
  • You start with a collection that lists all animals (you could probably filter this to exclude rows where both collections are empty)
  • On the collection details screen, you have another two collections. Each of those collections uses one of the parent relations as the source

I’m pretty sure the above will get you a nested collection.

1 Like

Ok. Thanks. I’ll see if I can get that to work…

I didn’t realise you nest collections, but it sounds like it’s exactly what I need.

Hi Darren,

Me again. I’m hoping for more help on this. I have tried nesting collections (like you suggested), but I cannot get it to work right, or display the way I want it to.

I have had a separate need to create 2 pedigree charts, and I have manually done so in a spreadsheet. I have included a screenshot so you can see what I am after.

If each animal in the chart is in the original list (there are 650+ animals - all related to their respective mothers & fathers), I want to be able to search for an animal, and display it and its’ pedigree in a single screen chart. Ideally I’d like to put at all into a printable document with a watermark that says “unofficial” across it, but I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.

The entire app was built from a coroprate directory template, so if you consider that I have a company directory with everyone’s supervisors (above), and team members (below), then you get the idea.

Effectively, take a corparate directory list, and display the CEO, the 2 Managing Directors, their 4 Senior Supervisors, their 8 Sub-Supervisors, and their 16 team members - everyone having one above & two below…

I only need to display one (searchaed) animal, and 4 previous generations. There is no need to go back further.

You said to nest collections, and I imagine 4 collections nested in each other from one searchable animal would be ideal…but I cannot figure out how to do so.

If you are able, could you please spare the time to explain it in a little more detail?

Thank you.

Ross

So, in the screen shot example - a search for Beamish of Lilie a’Ghlinne would display the full chart, with all of the other animals filled in from the relation data that is contained in the original list.

Can you show us how you’re structuring your data?

It’s 20 columns wide - it doesn’t fit on a single screenshot.

I’m not sure how to show you.

So you’re having that chart’s info all in one row?

I have a Google Sheet as the base data source.
Each row is a single cow, and subsequent rows list each father and mother (with relation columns). I also have other details listed beside each one (owner’s details, colour, DOB, etc).

I have managed to get Relations to show parents, and also reversed them to be able to show related offspring. That part works well.

I’m hoping to display multiple parent relations on the same page. I was advised to nest Collections inside collections, but I can’t see how to do that.

I’ll grab some screenshots, hopefully to can see how it goes together…

Screenshots 1,2,3,4 tile left to right, in that order. I’ve included the last colum in the next screenshot so you can see the overlap.

For reference, Sire is Father, Dam is Mother, and Progeny is offspring, Fold is the name of the farm. Ignore NLIS ID# column - it’s not in use yet. Everything else is just data on each individual animal.

This is the part where you tell me that my data source is a complete mess & that I should be ashamed of myself, right? :grin: :sob: :wink:

Hmm, I’m not sure how it can be done. Taking the ability to create a family tree out of the way for now, what I would have done is to have in a single row only the animal’s name, and its father & mother.

Once you have that, you can use relations to kind of connect things, but then I haven’t worked out in my mind how you can do multiple levels from that.