Data Editor "Mark as Read-Only" column setting

Nothing at all. Still not sure it would solve the issue of the user profile screen > profile image as it’s more a UI issue than a data editor issue.

A lot of us are probably maxed out on our vote limit. Need to prioritize what’s most important. You didn’t vote for it either. :wink:

I did not know that I could vote on my own request :nerd_face:

Is there not a general problem that arrayformalas could be overwritten?

1 Like

I’m sure glide doesn’t intentionally overwrite columns that are populated by arrayformulas, and at the same time, I’m pretty sure that glide is not aware if your sheet has formulas or not. All it sees is data and it’s designed to read, add, and update data in the database if instructed to. The google API isn’t stopping it either. It’s more up to the developer to make sure there aren’t conflict like this. In your case the profile screen has the photo upload defaulted into the title component that we cannot delete and that only way to remove that option would be to incorporate some CSS to override the default title component that glide puts on the screen.

I agree that there should be a way to protect the image from being overwritten (especially in cases like yours or if we would want to incorporate a company logo instead), but I don’t think glide was ever intended to work with data sourced from other sources like this. I’m sure they assumed that a user would always want the ability to change their name or photo.

OK understand but I think that there are cases like mine where several glide apps are an important part in an integrated system. As you can see there is an extensive use of IMPORTRANGE/ARRAYFORMULA formulas.

2 Likes

This makes a lot of sense. I used to use array formulas in GS…. and it’s not good to have them break.

Simply do not write values into arrays… that’s all

Hard to prevent writing to the column when it’s a default component that can’t be removed without CSS manipulation.

do not put data into default components… simple… open a new column… this whole thread doesn’t make sense at all

Open the user profile screen, set the image column to an image column that’s pre-populated from a formula in the sheet, then tell me how you can prevent users from uploading a new image without using any CSS or scripting.

simply remove that column

But the user’s image should be displayed

you don’t want a user to control his own profile picture?

Not through the app. It’s controlled from a third party app/website that populates the sheet through a formula. @Ralf wants to keep the image consistent among all apps and websites. The user image is already established for a user and the user data is populated in the sheet from an outside source.

2 Likes

only user of that app can see that picture in his own device , others will see a picture set up in global picture column, why do you care what user will set up there? it is a personal settings for the user… for global data, use other columns… nobody will see his personal picture… they will see picture from importrange data…
you can set an action set columns to copy global picture to his profile picture whnen sign in

It’s not for me, so I can’t answer that. I’m sure it’s just to maintain a professional and consistent interface and flow without having to get hacky. If you allow a user to change the image, then they might have expectations that the image will change across all apps and websites when that wouldn’t be the case. That leads to a bad UX. It seems like a reasonable request for a very small UI change that removes the upload button that’s placed on top of the modified and unremovable title component.

2 Likes

for that … remove the profile picture column, there will be no option to upload… they will see an anonymous avatar… but in the whole app global picture will be visible… it is almost like requesting that everybody need to have a pink iPhone :wink:

But what if you want the user’s picture to show in the menu and on the user profile instead of an anonymous image. That may be sufficient for you, but not for others.

then overwrite with action or script… or just inform users, that changing his personal image, will not affect main profile picture… i do get what you saying… is just not a real problem for me… it is only cosmetic change

We’re going in circles here. This is simply a feature request thread and nothing more. The point is to allow the option to remove the upload button without having mess with CSS or scripts which would still provide a false impression to the users and probably temporarily break the entire sheet for all users until the script fixes it. This shouldn’t have to be an over-complicated process. Sure there’s workarounds around this, and we recognize that, but that’s not what we’re looking for with this feature request. That’s all I have to say on this.