šŸ™‹ā€ā™€ļø User Profile columns in conditions and columns

If youā€™re using User Profiles, you can now use columns from the currently signed-in user in visibility conditions as well as in computed columns in the Data Editor.

Hereā€™s an example where we enable the Edit screen only if the signed-in user is an ā€œeditorā€:

You can read more about it in our docs.

As always, we love to hear your feedback!

27 Likes

Nice! I can see this making so many options far easier to implement.

Love it! Especially the premium user idea. This will be very helpful.

Neatā€¦so basically, this saves app developers the trouble of creating this functionality using the good olā€™ relation/lookup/is signed in user combo?

3 Likes

Yes, what used to require ugly hacks at best is now easy.

5 Likes

Greatt!!!1

Nice! I like the flexibility of it all.

Use case:
In a form/edit screen, I like to use visibility settings to show/hide components based on other values the user has already filled out/selected. For example, I could hide a choice component once the user selected an optionā€¦but that means the user couldnā€™t change their mind once they selected it.

Now they can, I can point to the user profile column rather than the identical sheet column to keep the choice component visible until the value actually writes to the sheet.

Proof of concept:

Great ! It will certainly reduce number of column and relations.

Hey Robert!

I love what you are doing here! I am curious, when I have set up my user profiles to a sheet, I am getting repeating data every time a user logs in. like the app:logins and and user profiles sheet have become one. No matter what sheet I use and what app I have enabled this for, this is the behavior I see. Are you seeing this same behavior when using the user profiles?

We had an exchange about this in another thread, but I am trying to understand how others are dealing with this weird duplication of users issue.

Yes this is correct. When you are using user profile option, every time a new user log in one new line will be added automatically and this will eat your row count, which is not favourable for free user under 500 row limit.

Hi Ben,

With User Profiles enabled, youā€™ll still get new rows in App: Logins. Glide has mentioned that they might eventually phase this out. Thereā€™s no longer any need, though, to reference this sheet with Unique formulas or scripts, etc.

1 Like

Whaou, thatā€™s great! You are shipping really fast new features, but that also mean I need to re-make all my current app now :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Robert,

Thanks fore the quick reply. I apologize. I must not be explaining my situation well. I think that logging individual logins in a separate sheet like app:logins is still fine. The situation I am facing is that the sheet I set as the table to store users in the ā€œUser Profileā€ settings is not only recording each user once, but every single time the user logins in. Like you would expect to see in the app:logins sheet, but not a user profile table.

In this screenshot, every ā€œbā€ email and ā€œgā€ email are the same users being logged to the sheet I have set up as my profile sheet.

This is amazing!

Can you please add the timestamp of the first login as a column in the profiles sheet? Like there is a timestamp in the App:Login. Iā€™m now using a workaround with google apps script because it helps in users data analytics.

Haha this is awesome, this makes my life easier! Well done guys :smiley:

Hi, with the new functionality, is there a way to bring the ā€˜signed in userā€™ into the data editor? i.e. a ā€˜signed in user profileā€™ column, that you can then do lookups to bring in other user profile into the data editor on different sheets? I can do this with a workaround now, but would be great to use this functionality instead. Thanks

1 Like

This would go so well with conditional tab visbility

1 Like

Hmā€¦yeah, thatā€™s unexpected behavior. You donā€™t happen to have a script running in this sheet?

Could you give an example of what you would do with that?

@Ben_Reynolds could you share your app, please?