Creating a root menu to lead to departments

Hello all. I’m trying to create a hint tool for a puzzle book with departments.
I have created a root menu:

Which I’d like a user to press each department to lead them to the next page.

However, whatever I seem to try, it always goes to the same department. I can’t seem to figure out how the relational works for this.

In my base spreadsheet, each spreadsheet tab leads to department info, and I made a tab with the root menu.

Each department is also a tab in Glide.

Can anyone point me toward what I need to do here please? I feel like I’m going around in circles!

If you haven’t done something like this, try to structure the database like the points below:

• Have a “Departments” sheet to store the departments and their image.

• Have a “Items” sheet to store the items of the department, which must have the “parent” department column in there, with the same name as they have in the “Departments” sheet.

• Go back to the “Departments” sheet, make a relation matching the Departments’ name column to the same column in the “Items” sheet and set it to match multiple.

• In the screen that you show the “Departments” like you have above, set the action to “Link to screen” with the value being the relation you created.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I’ve got the root menu working now, but when you click through, it still shows all items. I’ve followed your fourth instruction, as shown below:
Capture5

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Make sure your link to screen is using the relation instead of pointing to the whole sheet.

1 Like

Have you made the relation as I said? As Jeff said, use that relation as the value here.

1 Like

That appears to be working right (from the right hand tags), but isn’t for the next page - it just shows all of the items from the first department for some reason. Problem with the second page?

Could this be the issue?
Capture7

The “data” must be that “related” column.

2 Likes

I’ve tried choosing the Relate column I created, but it isn’t available. I tried typing it in, to no luck. I even created a text column called ‘bob’, which came up as choice straight away!

Screenshot 2020-07-11 at 13.49.19

I can’t work out where I’m going wrong, and know I’m soooo close!

Solved it! Wrong link!

Screenshot 2020-07-11 at 13.51.42

Thanks for your help! Now to solve my hints reveal problem!

2 Likes