Create public and private version of app for admin

Just create the two apps and point them to the same spreadsheet. Add the functionality you need to each one. I would suggest that the management one would be a whitelisted style of login.

1 Like

could you give sample app that have two chat ? How do you get buyers and sellers chatting before they deal with a transaction?

I 'm making a marketplace. I want the order form entered in my sheet from the buyer to be automatically copied to the seller too, how can I do that?
then can I make a ticket automatically for the buyer from my sheet after the transaction of them ? After that, I can automatically make a billing to the seller to take a commission?

How do you get buyers and sellers chatting before they deal with a transaction?

Hi @George_B, I have a similar question. I have one spreadsheet which points to a public and admin app. How do I duplicate both apps with their functionality to a new single spreadsheet?

1 Like

At the moment you can’t, unfortunately.

1 Like

@Jeff_Hager Thanks a lot for the clarity. I figured it was not possible based on this forum Admin apps + editing rights before I made the effort to rebuild the app.

Thanks again

1 Like

Thanks @Christophe_HK

I see others have beat me to the answer.

What I have been doing of late, is creating the admin app first and after it is complete I make a duplicate of it keeping the same sheet. This duplicate is now pointing to the same spreadsheet and I remove the various things, like edit or add capabilities, or specific admin pages from the copy. Now the app is the users app and can be distributed.

It is a lot easier to remove the admin functions than develop to independent apps.

4 Likes

I found the component visibility features to be awesome. In the same app I’ve made public, also contains buttons that only I can see, for example, granting new users to an app that is Email Whitelisted, or adding/editing new stops in my Transportation app. The other app users never see this added functionality in the app, but for me, it sure beats having to go back to my spreadsheet all the time.

2 Likes

How can you limit buttons visibility to some users in a public app ? If you have succeeded in resolving this setup, please : marry me !

No joke, I am very interested to know if and how, 'cause it’s something we are a lot to want !

2 Likes

Create a column in the spreadsheet for that tab in your app. Name it something like, “Admin Rights” or whatever you like. Then, place your email address in all rows under that column that you need access to. Then use Conditional Visibility on the component that you want hidden. Under the settings, choose the column “Admin Rights” or whatever you named it, then choose “is signed-in user.” This ensures that only you can see everything.

I hope I explained that correctly. @JackVaughan actually did a video on this very subject, which is what helped me greatly.

1 Like

OK, so it’s not a public app. By public app, I mean an app any user can access without being prompt for a password or a pin code or an email address.

As long as users are signed in, indeed you can manage visibility and right on some components

I am sorry, I won’t marry you… :grinning:

So here’s the thing. There is a way to do this, but it doesn’t appear to be officially supported so I try to avoid suggesting it. If you set your app to public with email, then you can apply any settings that require ‘signed in user’. Then if you change your app back to public, it will be publicly accessible, but you can sign in via the side menu and the ‘signed in user’ parts should work as set up. The only thing is, you have to change your privacy setting any time you want to add per user components and you will see warnings that the option is not supported when you switch back to Public. I don’t know why glide doesn’t allow this work now. Maybe there is some background issue that I’m not aware of. It just feels like it would be easy for them to allow. The only reason I wouldn’t suggest it is because there’s no guarantee that they would continue to allow this hack, so it might bite you later.

3 Likes

Very interesting @Jeff_Hager, thanks a lot! I fully share your point that this should not be done, but it’s a good finding that indicate that we’re not so long to have public / admin apps!

1 Like

Damned! It works… Can’t wait to get this released…

1 Like

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding :wink:

2 Likes

Hmmm I’ve tried this, @Jeff_Hager, but it doesn’t work for me. As soon as I turn it back to “Public” the burger menu disappears. Maybe they’ve “fixed the bug” in the meantime? :woman_shrugging:

The hamburger menu will automatically show if you have enabled public with email, but it will also show if you have any additional tabs in there. This might be a good place for an about tab or something like that. As long as you’ve added something to the menu, it will keep showing, no matter the privacy setting.

Jeff it works! Wow! Thank you sooo much! I didn’t get it with adding something to the menu. Thank youuuu!!!

1 Like