šŸ˜šŸ˜ - Component selector in Pages

I just realised the component selector in Pages is live. Wow!
This makes things so much easier especially for those screens with a lot of componentsā€¦
You donā€™t even have to switch views but uses the hover effect to highlight the componentsā€¦
Thank you Glide team :clap::clap:

https://community.glideapps.com/t/component-selector-in-pages-play-select-mode/44138?u=luther

4 Likes

Iā€™m sure I saw something similar to this in staging a while back. Nice to see its made its way into production :+1:

And itā€™s much better than the way it behaves in Apps, with that annoying hotkey switching that hijacks your keyboard :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: I really wish there was a way to disable that.

1 Like

I agree, this is so much betterā€¦

When working with Apps, I would sometimes forget that my Apps were in select mode and start to panic when I press a button on the App in the builder and nothing happens. I would of course realise this a few minutes later that I was on selector modeā€¦
This is so much betterā€¦

I work almost exclusively in Play mode, and it gets me every time I take a screenshot. The key combination on a Mac to select an area and screenshot it is Cmd-Shift-4. So every time I go to take a screenshot, I hit my Cmd key, the builder immediately switches to Select mode, and I get a blue box around one of the components, which ruins my screenshot, and I swear really really loudly.

Iā€™ve had to train myself to take the cursor context away from the Glide builder by clicking in another window before I take a screenshot. But sometimes I forgetā€¦

3 Likes

Your message is really funny :joy: But I agree with you the hotkey on Mac is anything but funny.

1 Like

I like to use humour to get my point across. But alas, my grumpy old mans sense of humour quite often goes straight over the topā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m not seeing it in productionā€¦screenshot?

I guess Iā€™m alone in saying that I love the MacBook keyboard shortcut. I find myself command-clicking on components in Pages only to frustratingly scroll through my list of components in the left hand panel.

1 Like

yep, Iā€™m still seeing it. I really like this method much better ā€¦

2 Likes

But if I have a screen with 40 components on it, scrolling through that list isnā€™t helpful. I want to just select the component I see in front of me.

2 Likes

oh, right - so you want it to work the other way around.
I get what you mean, I guess I donā€™t see it as a problem as I rarely have that many components on a single screen.

I get that command click isnā€™t the best hot key, but Iā€™d prefer ANY hot key to bring this backā€¦that or right clicking a component to select it which apparently you canā€™t do in pages either.

Yeah, Iā€™d be perfectly happy with the same behaviour as we have in Apps, if only it was a different shortcut key. In fact, I requested this almost 2 years agoā€¦

1 Like

Yeah ā€¦I see what you mean now. I think I was too excited to notice that itā€™s not actually the same thing as in Apps but rather a hover effectā€¦
But even so, it is a step in the right direction. This is better than nothing at all :hugs:.
Fingers crossed the actual component selector as in Apps is in the makingā€¦:wink:

@Ivo_Elbert

1 Like