Collections keep applying 1 change to all?

Hi there! I’m working on an app with multiple languages. Each language is translated in a different column in Google Sheets. I made separate pages and separate Collections/Lists for each language, but they’re all showing the same language. For example, I set the Rich Text column to “Russian Translation,” but then the “Russian Translation” shows up in the English and Italian Translation slots. If I change it in the Italian page to the Italian translation column, the Russian translation page changes as well.

What gives?


Can you explain your app flow in more detail? How do you navigate to each language screen?

Yep! Basically – on the left-hand side, you see “Documents.” These are the original documents in English. I want to include the translated versions in the Menu, so I duplicated the structure and changed the different data sources to pull from different columns. Does that help?

Hmm, Ok. I’d probably take a different approach so I wouldn’t have to replicate changes 3 times, but that’s just me.

But, to answer your question. The tab level will have an independent layout, so I assume the top level of each tab is OK. Anything below that is going to require you to use a ‘Show New Screen’ action in place of a ‘Show Detail Screen’ action.

‘Show Detail Screen’ views are always attached to their source table, so if you change it one place, then it’s charged everywhere else where you use ‘Show Detail Screen’. On the other hand, ‘Show New Screen’ views always give you a new layout independent of the default one attached to the table.

1 Like

Interesting! How would you tackle something like this?

For this approach: I don’t even see ‘Show Detail Screen’ in new Glide – that used to be clear in old Glide but I don’t even see how I would ‘Show New Screen’ now:

You modify actions in the actions tab for the collection.

That all depends. If users signs in, I would have a language preference in the user table. Then use that for various visibility or IF conditions on components, actions, IF columns, etc. Then I would only have one Documents tab and the content changes based on user preference.

Another approach would be a single Documents tab attached to a single row table. In that table would be a user specific column. A user could select a preferred language with a choice component (writing to the user specific column). You could then use a single value column in other tables to bring the selected language into the those tables. Then you could use an IF column to return the appropriate translation from each of the language columns. Then you would only display the IF column value where needed on the documents tab.

There’s several ways to approach it, but those are a couple of options.