Can I Glide (User + Dev) well with a ChromeBook?

Belated reply regarding your question about Glide on a Chromebook. I’ve been using a Samsung Chromebook Pro (4GB) since July 2017. I love the screen and it’s been holding up decently.

2 extensions I might recommend that will help with the performance of your new baby:

• The Great Suspender. Or any tab suspending extension. You can set tabs to go to “sleep” after a given time of inactivity, thus saving on memory usage if you have a tendency of having tabs open which you don’t need active. Just by selecting the tab, the tab becomes active again.
  • SimpleExtManager. Or any Chrome extension manager. Should you have a lot of Chrome extensions installed, these will take up memory. Some you don’t always need, just on occasion. The extension manager gives you quick access to your extensions, allows you to group them, etc.

I love my Chromebook and have been pondering switching back to Apple. I will be getting myself a new MacBook soon.

2 Likes

Thks Nathanael, MS Edge activates automatically tab pauses, good idea to get the same with ChromeBook.
Have a look at this Acer 317 Pentium Silver 8 Go with 17"3 screen (I’m short-sighted so it’s not a detail to work on virtual boards) and DTS sound. The model packaged with a pair of BlueTooth earplugs for 499 €. Perfect “Student price”. If it wasn’t ok enough, I would have taken the risk to wait more months that competitors launch their first 17"3 too.
I’m so flabbergasted it’s so swift with wifi, even if I bought RJ45 cable and multiport hub to connect everything I need for videoconferencing with screen sharing.

When my future employer will provide me with my 1st MacBook Pro, I just hope it will not be “washing-machine white”. I just can’t stand that “color” :grin: No wonder Steve Jobs got his inspiration in kitchen appliances department!

1 Like

After “Nero burning Rom”, Uzo burning tops". Catchy.
Viruses: You guys browse too much on non respectable web sites…
Or maybe it’s very Russian :grin:? (if you’re in the general direction of Russia?) Kinda “local traps” just to keep you busy?

I managed to keep my tower PC 2000-2013, the actual one since 2013 with a successful 15 € upgrade in DDR3 compatible RAM to 8 Go, the max possible. But it’s a single core processor.
These days, I don’t know if my Asus PC is jealous of my Acer ChromeBook or about to quit, it’s really noisy while doing nothing special.

1 Like

Just learned how to use 1, 2, 3, 4 fingers trackpad mode: amazing! And exclusive to ChromeBook :wink: @nathanaelb

@Darren_Murphy How on Earth do you select an exact text with a trackpad? I can only count on good old Click/Tap++Shift Tap to be sure it does not go who knows where? It’s sometimes more difficult to select 2 words (1 word is double-tap).
Thks. Still very awkward with this. I have less pb with my Kindle.
Or maybe it’s easier with the touchscreen?How To Master Your Chromebook Trackpad Gestures - YouTube

Just tap and slide. It feels a little awkward at first, but you very quickly get good at it.

1 Like

Yes. it is a matter of getting used to it…

1 Like

The thing I struggled with the most was drag and drop. I had to do quite a bit of fiddling with my trackpad settings before I could do that effectively. In fact, at one point I almost considered getting a mouse just so I could use it for drag and drop. But I persisted, and it’s all good now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh yeah, the D & D with a capital D like Dangerous!
How are you doing to scroll in the components builder and its thinny-tiny scrollbar without D & D by mistake any component to misplace any of them? This components pane is especially tricky to manipulate.

I have to try 3 times before 1 can D & D animations order in Google Slides (which is at least not dangerous). But I’m no “Gamer Material” to master Miss Dexterity without feeling high tensed shoulders. More Pain than Gain for now. Would that pass, “Doctor Murphy”?
Just received this week a rechargeable wireless mouse via USB C or 3.x. Cute little thing in rose gold with led (girly shopping moment) that brings some livelihood against my Anthracite ChromeBook and its mineral look.
My Plan B.

What scrollbar? :stuck_out_tongue:
For the longest time I wasn’t even aware of any scrollbars anywhere in the Glide builder or data editor. I just use two finger scrolling, which is way easier than trying to find a scrollbar.

Moving components around is easy enough. Just tap and hold with one finger, then drag and drop it where you want it.

1 Like

:smile:

I’ll try next time

Moving is easy. What is less feasible is NOT moving them while scrolling. For that reason, I never dare using anything else than the Play Mode, too afraid to delete precious - and un-undoable - job by mismove (does this word exist?)

Just pretend there is no scrollbar, and you’ll never have that problem again.

1 Like

Oh, you mean the toothstick :sewing_needle: hidden in the component’s pane? :innocent:

wait for your Mac… the pad is just so precise… after a week or two you will never use the mouse again

2 Likes

Indeed. Now that I know the 1, 2, 3, 4 fingers mode, it’s much controllable! \o/ :heavy_check_mark:

1 Like

I was flabbergasted by the Thinkpad’s Red Dot (even if I can’t stand red): incredible. And especially dear to my heart as my 1st laptop - enterprise on my 1st job (Lotus/IBM). So badass-black VS the “Girl’s make-up box/mirror/washing-machine-white MacBook” :-D.
Sorry, I’m having this bias since the beginning, even though I love the bonbon colorful monitors Apple did once.

What I find hard to understand, with my rational brain, is how to compare equivalence between processor+RAM+anything that comes into account for performance/quality (lifetime duration) to “justify” the “luxury price tag”. I love ingeniosity. But I need benchmarks to convince my brain I’m not just “buying a fancy outrageously expensive show off tech addict social status proof” whose standard colors I happen to hate like white.
I read sth like with only 4 Go which is ridiculous, a Mac can equal an 8 Go on a W10 PC. But you have to match the processor’s equivalence to understand the value you get while reading a list of specs that looks so less if you don’t know how to translate.
And the screen size, always 2- 4 inches less for the price, iphones as well as laptops: why would people accept smaller screens on iPhones when standard smartphones are all 5" and above without significant higher price and with matching core processors? Strange consumer behavior.

Mac has integrated OS, so it works blazing fast, even with a slower processor, still much faster than windows, plus all benefits for almost instant opening and no viruses and logs… display quality is much better than other brands, not to mention keyboard and pad… this is build to last.
In my opinion, buying a used (even 5 years old) Mac is a better option than brand new windows.