Glide Usability Issues

Comm on Glide. Basic usability here.

Look at the edit form below. What is the most obvious thing on the screen? It is a BIG colorful “DELETE” button. So when the user wants to finish editing their item, they are most likely click on it and DELETE the item, they will most likely NOT see the “done” text button on the right top side.

It’s great that you offer a “Delete” button, but at least give us an option to stylize it so it’s not the one thing that people are most likely to click. It should really look like a link and not a button.

Alternatively, allow us to add a “Save” button under that form, I was not able to find a way to do this, despite my best efforts.

To combat this, I did my best by adding some space before it and giving people instructions. The more instructions you have to give people, the LESS user friendly it must be.

@david @Jeff_Hager

FIXED!

Well there’s other alternatives such as having a floating button… I personally think the way you managed to add it in your second pictures is great !

I find myself spending most of my time jumping through hoops when using Glide. Things that should be easy and common sense usability, are very hard to accomplish. They need a usability person on their team! I’m available @david contact me.

3 Likes

Well thanks for sharing you opinion which is of course highly appreciated. What I recommend you is to create a topic where you share all the little things that you consider being « too complex » instead of being easy and common.

This will help our devs and engineering team to approach all the ideas easily and efficiently :slight_smile:

Thanks again !

1 Like

Let’s make it this topic then. Please forward to the team.

Here’s another usability issue. The progress bar is not showing on the dark theme. Please compare white and dark theme. Easily fix if someone gets on it.

FIXED!

1 Like

Here’s another one that’s been annoying me from the beginning! Can’t see the borders of drop down menus on dark theme. It’s also extremely hard to read the labels.

I think that’s why I never used the dark theme so far. So hard to read the text and see the form elements. Remember that many men are color blind and can’t see gray!

" Current researchTrusted Source states that color blindness affects roughly 8 percent of Caucasian males."

4 Likes

Thanks !

I hope you guys do something with my free unsolicited professional advice, but I have a feeling you won’t.

We know about these problems, and are improving Glide as fast as we can. It’s not that we do not know how to improve Glide, it’s that there is so much to improve and develop, that we have to prioritize.

9 Likes

Thank you @david

I totally get the workload, I was in your shoes before, but there are some things that are so easy to fix, why not just get them out of the way? Styling is easy! Start with the easy stuff first! How much time can it take to make some styling changes to the dark theme? a few minutes! and yes, I do know what I’m talking about.

Come on! :grinning:

4 Likes

I quite like these nudges - just think is happy folk will be when they no longer need hand-plasters for the ‘paper cuts’ :slight_smile:

1 Like

The simple solution to this is to ignore the native form components and build your own. Then you pretty much have full control over the user experience. I know that some people view this as a workaround, but I consider it a matter of personal preference - and I like that Glide provides the flexibility to do that.

5 Likes

Thanks @Darren_Murphy, I’ll def look into that. That’s exactly what I meant about having to jump through hoops to do simple things though. A big ass delete button at the bottom of a form doesn’t make any usability sense, and should not be there/look like that in the first place.

1 Like

We can add this to this usability issues list:

I spent a lot of time looking for that delete icon or something to delete rows on the database but turns out I can do it by clicking “delete” on my keyboard. That’s not really standard way of doing things and I would have never thought about it, unless someone has told me that, which they eventually did.

If you gonna put a check box next to each row, then please provide actions I can take on these rows! it’s basic stuff IMHO.

2 Likes

It actually does ask that after clicking the delete button @Fred_Marker

1 Like

Sorry, I got confused about previous experience with accidentally deleting data. IF one builds one’s own Delete button, as has been suggested, using the ‘Delete row’ action, there is no confirmation (‘Are you sure?’).

So I agree with @SuperMerabh that more/better UI options are needed for the Delete button including adding an optional confirmation to the ‘Delete row’ action if you build your own in order to prevent end users from accidental deletion of valuable data.

2 Likes

That’s the whole point of building your own - because you take control of the user experience and flow you can basically do what you want. It’s trivial to add confirmation, and you are no longer constrained to the “Delete Row” action. For example, you may want a “soft delete” where the row is hidden, but not actually deleted. Not possible with the native delete function, but again quite trivial to implement when you build your own delete functionality.

3 Likes

Isn’t the whole point of “no code” is to have the most rudimentary features and protections already built in so you don’t have to take control of the user experience? This allows the developer to focus on the most complex and challenging operations, rather than the basic stuff like keeping users from biting them selves in the behind because they click the biggest, boldest button on the screen.

3 Likes

Well, as was pointed out by @SuperMerabh - that protection is there. ie. When you use the native delete function, the user is warned and asked to confirm the delete action.

I don’t disagree with the original point that the “big fat delete” button is poor UI design. My point is that there is more than one way to skin a cat :slight_smile:

6 Likes