šŸ†• All-New Team Plans Coming Thursday, April 21st

I think the issue will be the Updates that may limit the number of apps that are realistically possible on a Pro ($99) plan.

1 Like

if Glide can do an unlimited number of PRO apps for $100ā€¦ then why can you have 1 PRO App for $10 ??? that would give you tons of customers!

@DJP
I was understanding better, but when I read the additional comments they confused me a bit again.

To clarify the situation if I go to the $100 pro plan I can create unlimited projects and each project has 25k row and the only thing that the projects would share is the 50GB in storage.
and the updates are only generated in the correct google sheet that does not affect the glide tables if you confirm that I would be very grateful

Updates are also shared across the entire team. Updates will count any time something changes in your dataā€¦include glide tables. Using a google sheet will add additional updates because the sync between glide and google is also considered an update. Using glide tables will help reduce the amount of updates, but not eliminate them.

1 Like

No, seriously that will also apply to glide table but because if that was not the case before it only affected google sheets and not its database which is glide tables

Please consider updates only in google sheet like before :clap:

1 Like

I believe they are trying to find a balance between businesses that pay very little for powerful apps, and users that use more resources than they should for the cost. All the while, Glide is trying to remain profitable. There are a lot of costs to Glide that we donā€™t see as end users.

2 Likes

Iā€™m really bummed that they went from unlimited free edits on a table to very low edit caps. I thought i was reading it wrong because it seems like quite a drastic change.

I have a five layered dynamic search that progressively alters the following search choices - This would basically result in a cost of (5 cents USD) for every search performed. This pushes the viability of the app off a cliff.
5000 searches a day x 5 cents x 30 equates to $7500/mth and thatā€™s just to search!

Another grey area is with increment or set columns. Do they now increase our edits even for Pro Plan and for Tables as well?

I can understand that while we are testing and building an app the low edit cap was not so much of an issue because the pro app upgrade would offer unlimited edits to sheets (and tables had no edit cap)
But the $99 upgrade provides a very low edit cap of 10,000 edits (shared across all apps?) which makes the average pro app extremely expensive to interact with once the low edit cap is exceeded.

Iā€™m just not sure why they have gone from Unlimited Edits on the Old Pro Plan to charging four times as much and offering a total of 10,000 edits.

Iā€™m loving the New pricing Plan structure but this Updates concept seems like a bad thing for Glide.
Iā€™d be happy if Glide maybe offers a monthly rate for uncapped updates but even then the various plans should still offer a much higher rate.
Example: FREE = 1,000 Updates; STARTER = 5,000 Updates; PRO = 30,000 Updates; BUSINESS = 100,000; ENTERPRISE = Uncapped Updates
Also Options to buy Uncapped Updates for specific Apps.

The beauty of Glide is that anyone can now use apps to generate new streams of income. I believe most Glide Users would be happy to pay more as the App/Businesses scale but i believe these updates are going to make most projects become unviable.

Please could they have a serious re-look at the Updates Feature. There have to be other solutions that work for all.

1 Like

I recommend that they put limits on the app, since they are doing it with the editions that they grant, put a limit of 10 projects in the pro plan with all the benefits of 25k row for each project 50gb for each project and in google sheett limitation of 10,000 but in glide table unlimited as it was before that would make many people happy who are working with your database but putting a limit on your own database makes us go back completely

3 Likes

I canā€™t find anything about Glide fees for stripe anymoreā€¦ it is still the same 10% for the free app and 2% for PRO?
i see there is no buy button in free apps anymoreā€¦ why?

Thanks for your response, David! I wasnā€™t talking about Pro (maybe this was the wrong thread to comment onā€¦my apologies). If that was within my budget all my problems would be solved because Iā€™d get API access and just use Glide Tables directly and do away with updates :slight_smile:

Building 20 apps on Pro would mean 500 updates per app per month (17 per day). This is the same as 5 apps on Starter with 2,500 updates. What are people even building with Glide that so little apparently happens in these apps?

Your own app templates seem to show use cases that I feel could require a lot of updates (conferences, mobile restaurants, stores, CRMs, personal budget tracker). I could never have one of each of those apps on Starter and stay within 2,500 updates in a month.

Iā€™m really not trying to be shitty. I get that pricing is HARD. And you have to mitigate your costs, given that syncing between apps eats up resources. But this concept of ā€œupdatesā€ is new, right? Just trying to wrap my head around it.

I have what I feel is a simple use case, and Glide works beautifully for displaying it. Iā€™m part of Ship 30 for 30 (writing cohort) and I track essays posted to Twitter by cohort members. Itā€™s day 3 and my Airtable has almost 800 records.

Maybe my use case is the entirely wrong thing for Glide (itā€™s totally possible), but thus far without anyone even being IN the app my updates are increasing almost at the same rate as records being added. I chatted with someone from Glide on Twitter and was told that Airtable is updating their API such that updates would only happen when there are changes to the table AND someone is in the app. That would likely help matters.

I upgraded to Starter and as it stands, Iā€™m not SO far off from updates being equal to records added to Airtable (179 syncs for 197 Airtable records). Mostly, Iā€™m disappointed, because working with Glide (both building as end-user) is such a great experience. For some use cases, though, the syncing costs make it untenable :frowning:

2 Likes

Hi David/Glide/Community,

I have gone through all 171 messages above.

Congrats on the new investment and the continued strengthening of the product. I have no issues on price change, itā€™s a good thing, I have no issues in paying more. I like the overall structure and what you are trying to do and appreciate that the various limits have been based on analysing your existing user patterns and some may fall outside of this, I am one of these users.

My Scenario :
I just checked my usage and one of my pro apps I am at 38,000 edits for the month so far. Assume I end up with 50k edits then this single app will cost be $250USD/month. Itā€™s a big increase for me.

Question :

1. I believe you are saying that once I put an app into the team and publish it then I cannot move that app into another team. Iā€™m trying to understand the logic behind it and also the impact to me as a customer, I am not sure if there may be a case for me to take out an app and put it into its own/different team. I saw this question raised above but didnā€™t see an answer.

2. Is it possible for Glide to assist me in analysing my app to see where most of my updates are being used. I do have a google sheet, which I primarily have for backup (2 days ago we had a 2 hour outage on Glide, but I was able to access the data in the Google sheet and operate manually) so it gives me redundancy. I also use google sheet to conduct automated data backups/dumps.
    I have multiple apps that use the same data source (google sheets) call centre app, driver app, customer app. So if one of my apps makes a change/edit to the data source then from what I am understanding that change will be reflected in all the apps so it will be multiplied by 3.

I donā€™t think the pricing should discourage developers from using multiple apps and single data sources. Putting all the functionality into the same app will slow down the app making it bulky and difficult to manage.

Suggestion :

Maybe you can consider the purchase of additional edits at a decreasing rate, similar to when you use API services
$99 ā†’ 50,000edits ( 50k maybe high but I do think 10,000 is a low)
$10 ā†’ 1,000 edits
$25 ā†’ 5,000 edits
$50 ā†’ 20,000 edits
etcā€¦

To stop abuse you should not give unlimited apps and pages, but either limit it to say 10 or/and charge for additional apps in the same Team package

Also, consider sync to not be counted as part of the quota. Iā€™m not sure as to why others maybe using google sheets and require the synching but in my case is to assist Glide by

1. Give me data backups and some redundancy
  2. sometimes there are things I cannot do in Glide but I can use GS to extend the app functionality

The Updates quotas were set based on the usage of our existing customers. If your App or Page uses a significantly higher number of Updates than whatā€™s included per team plan, itā€™s possible that (a) your use case does not match those of our target customer persona or (b) your use case shows that we need to make changes to our Updates model

I will DM you to look into your projectā€™s usage further to see if your use case is more like the former or the latter

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply, i would really appreciate a DM.
With regards to (b) i think the point is that we donā€™t want you to change your Updates Model - just leave it the way it was. The old way.

Or at least meet everyone half way. Perhaps there needed to be a bit more of a gradual approach or a collaborative approach with some of the glide groupies and die hards. We love this platform! But this will kill it for sure.

I think the overall responses above have been great (with the exception of the Updates Model) and i for one love the upgrades and the new look of the app and functionality, new data sources, itā€™s flippin amazing.

But this Updates Model is the Anomaly. It is such a vast difference that i believe it will destroy Glide if not changed.

In terms of (a) above, you must remember that we are listening to our customers problems and making apps that meet their needs and as @Nick_Simard mentioned above people donā€™t need an application that can handle only 17 edits a day. They already have that, itā€™s called pen and paper.
17 edits a day means there will never be capacity in the app for collaboration, teamwork, automation, user generated data and content. No enterprise on the planet is generating just 17 edits a day, itā€™s likely to be in the tens and hundreds of 1000ā€™s. This is a data driven world. 17 edits, 1000 editsā€¦ it doesnā€™t come close to reflecting the size of the vision youā€™ve spelt out over the last few years iā€™ve been using glide.

The Concept of unlimited apps is also misleading if we cant possibly even make 20 useful apps. And itā€™s all to do with the Updates Model Change. Sorry, i feel strongly about this, not sure if itā€™s evident. More importantly. My business is over if this updates model stays the same and i seem to hear a consistent story in the threads above.
Please guys, this is madness.

4 Likes

Responding to your post since @ToOFa_Apps was referencing the example you gave

These team plans were not designed with the idea that customers would create 5 equally-used projects on the Starter team plan or 20 equally-used projects on the Pro team plan. That is why it is not a helpful rule of thumb to divide your Updates quota by 5 or by 20

If you need 20 highly-used projects before, that would cost between $600-900+ per month when upgrading individual Apps and Pages

On the new team plans, the equivalent would be purchasing the Business team plan (with Updates overages potentially) or even being an Enterprise customer

I will DM you to look into your projectā€™s usage more closely. In your example, you have 179 of 2,500 Updates used for this month, which is ~7%. When does your billing cycle reset?

1 Like

If I am using google sheets as my data source but all changes are being done by the app (nothing directly in GS) which is synching to the GS. Is it fair to assume that every edit is being counted twice ? i.e if I was to go to just GlideTables then my updates should more or less half ?

Hey, Dan, I will also DM you to get more details about your current Glide usage

Answering your questions below:

1. As mentioned before, transferring projects from one team to another team is complicated for our backend, so we will be phasing this feature out. Moving projects from teams with paid plans is the main issue, so we may allow transfers for projects on teams with free plans

2. Generally speaking, Syncs make up the bulk of a teamā€™s Updates. Is it possible to move your data to Glide Tables? Glide Tables do not incur any Syncs, only Adds, Edits, and Deletes. As we get more usage data with the new team plans, we can outline best practices in designing your project to consume fewer Updates

Going back to your example, if you had one Google Sheet connected to 3 projects in the same team, I am checking with the team if changing the data source would result in 1 Sync or 3 Syncs. If I recall correctly, this should only consume 1 Sync, but let me double-check

Responding to other points you brought up:

1. We are planning to introduce volume discounts when you purchase more Updates

2. Syncs are a key cost driver in refreshing, maintaining, and serving our customersā€™ projects, so they will always be a core component of Updates

3. On the Pro team plan, you can use the Glide API to pull your data from Glide Tables. Can you expand on the features you find valuable on Google Sheets that are missing in Glide Tables?

Hi DJP,

Thanks I responded to the DM. Responding to the other question here so it can assist others too.

GoogleSheets :

1. I use it for backup, I have a GS plugin which at 1am automatically takes a dump of the GS and emails it out to a defined email list. This serves two purposes :
  • Gives us a back up of the data
  • The recipients are also able to search access the data for analysis
  • 2-3 days ago, Glide stopped working for us for about 2 hours. I was able to go to GS and get all the data on all active jobs (logistics) and able to call drivers and customers, without that it would have been extremely damaging

The data accessibility in the event of an outage is my main concern, we have used GlideAPI for some stuff to extract and remove data/rows that donā€™t need to be in Glide anymore and move them to an SQL DB. We can definitely explore the API further to see if it can use it to sync to our DB and we can then generate a CSV as and when needed. I am not against moving away from GS completely.

Is there any limits to API calls/webhooks ?

Thanks

Hi, what happens when 10,001 user tries to login?

On the Business Plan, you are allowed to go over the user limits, and we will contact you to discuss moving onto a custom plan.

1 Like