🧑‍🤝‍🧑 Add Follower/Following functionality to your app

The ability to follow other users is pivotal in any social media app. This video will show you how to build Follow/Unfollow functionality in Glide without any additional rows!

15 Likes

Great Mr P… :+1:

Could we take it one step further?

If I (Jason) follow you (Robert) then Jason can see ‘content’ Robert has created for his followers - whatever that maybe.

No follow = I can’t see Roberts ‘content’ :disappointed:
Follow = I can see Roberts ‘content’ :smiley:

1 Like

You bet. That’s just a visibility/filter condition after the fact.

Visibility of an entire component: Show when email address (on details screen of person I’m viewing) is included in User>Following

Filtering of content within a list: Filter where email address (of content) is included in User>Following

4 Likes

Very clear and impressive, as always. Thanks for sharing, I’ll now need to study this.

3 Likes

Love this - there are so many great uses for it. The next step would then be to be notified when the person I am following creates or modifies content that I am interested in. So when I open my app, I can view a list of followers that have submitted new content, I can click on that person’s name and be directed to the new content…

2 Likes

This is awesome! Just what I needed! Again, thank you for another extremely applicable tutorial! tips hat

@kabookie, just spitballing here but I would assume if when users post content, the data in said post could include a “unique post id” and/or a “post timestamp” for each post - you could then filter an inline list of said content in either ascending/descending order by that post timestamp…and/or include these posts inside each Users profiles?

I’m sure Robert will be able to clarify what I just tried to explain but butchered :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

So you’d want in app alerts to new posts? Ya, doable. Create an inline list of all posts, filtered by people you follow. In the posts sheet, have a user specific column that gets populated with a timestamp when you view it. Any post without a timestamp is then “new” which means you could create an additional filter on that inline list to only display posts that are “new”

7 Likes

Would you be willing to do a tutorial to demonstrate this? Would be very helpful.