Why does my data suddenly not match my google sheet?

Did you try my suggestion?
If that doesn’t work, then you could reach out to Glide support - support@glideapps.com

Have you tried duplicating the app and sheet?

1 Like

I have tried to reload everything, even opened a different browser to see if that would help. I’m typically working from Chrome.

I have not tried duplicating the app or the sheet.

Amigo @Wiz.Wazeer

May you explain a little more that bug/issue that is affecting glideapps?

Thanks

1 Like

I have figured out my issue. Suddenly it is reading my sheet correctly. I’m not sure what I did to make that happen as I tried all the stuff above. Thank you all for your help, let’s hope this works consistently!!!

4 Likes

Wow? I’m so sorry to hear you’ve lost your previous project and encountered this situation several times. May I ask what the potential workarounds are? (ex. using Glide tables vs Sheets, making ongoing duplicates on daily basis, etc?)

I literally just fell in love with Glide yesterday due to the features and great community but I’m working on a major project for a city so can’t afford to have it screwed up. Not sure why this analogy is popping into my head but it’s sorta like getting out of a bad relationship and meeting the girl of your dreams, and you’re ready to propose marriage to her only to find out she’s killed several of her last ex-boyfriends lol. But if you know she only killed them because she didn’t have chocolate that day, then at least I know I need to stock up on tons of Hersheys and M&Ms.

Anyways, thanks and good luck all with their Glide apps!

Hi although anyone from the Glide team helps just sends standard msg with high sla, the community here is amazing.
What I did is delete all my script. I’m doing some tasks that I was doing with script until I learn how to do it automatically with Glide.
I’m not 100% sure, but it looks it´s working…

4 Likes

It was @Alexandre_Caruso thread that made me want to take a look at this, that’s why I asked him yesterday if he had built his app from any of Glide’s own templates. When he said no, I gathered it was a universal thing. It might not even be Glide. But whatever it is one thing is certain. This bug/worm resides in only one column, not multiple. All the tests I’ve carried out so far have shown this to be the case.

The minute you write data to this column your app screen goes blank and you tend also to lose any relations you created.

I’m still at it. I’ll probably get there before glide does.

2 Likes

Thank you @Wiz.Wazeer for helping @Alexandre_Caruso and all of our situations although the larger macro concern I have relates to @Uzo situation where he lost a major project and have seen similar issues happen over the last year. I don’t know if this is taboo to mention a competitor but I’ll just say it because I still want to use Glide and make it work. Based on this discovery of Glide bugs, what I’m considering doing is to use a GS and have Glide be my primary front end solution. But I will also have Appsheet using the same GS as a backup in case a bug ever happens and will just switch the domain name over. Not sure if this is easier said than done but this is the only way I can conceivably use Glide without worrying that my entire infrastructure will crumble at the moment I need it most to work. Any thoughts or feedback greatly appreciated as the community rocks here, Glide’s features are great and I like the direction it’s going. But I need a contingency plan to feel confident moving forward

If I’m making major changes I will usually create a duplicate of the app as a backup…or just do it periodically anyway. As long as you take your time and don’t experiment too much once you have parts of your app established, then you will be fine.

I think the biggest thing you need to watch for is if you create forms or screens that are linked from actions or buttons. A lot of times, if you delete something at a higher level, such as the actions that created those screens, or buttons that created those screens, you will lose anything below it. If you are careful, you will be just fine. Also pay attention to what you are doing and what changes may affect any anything below that point in the apps heirarchy, because a lot of times you do have an undo button to undo any mistakes.

It’s not much different than writing a report for school, or writing code. If you don’t save often or keep backups, you still run the risk of something being deleted accidentally if you get careless

I think what @Uzo was getting at, is that if you are not careful, you can wipe out entire screens and potentially, any action logic. It’s not that it just disappears on it’s own. It’s usually caused by something the user did, but maybe didn’t catch it soon enough.

My suggestion is to get the general structure of your app established first before you move on to the finer details. Don’t try to make every screen and every part of your app perfect from day one. Get the flow working, then you can make it pretty. Once you have that, then you shouldn’t have to worry so much about making a change that will affect something else down the line.

5 Likes

As always, thanks @Jeff_Hager ! I feel a lot better. Yes I’m actually somewhat paranoid about losing data so usually save frequently and make tons of duplicates. I figure there’s only upside to having this behavior. And what you said about deleting something at higher level causing a loss of the actions and screens below it also makes sense. However, I’m also worried about those bugs that can come out of nowhere and an experience that Alexandre had where he got that rare opportunity to be on TV (well rare for me) so just want to plan ahead for any unknown problems. Obviously this would also apply to any other platform as well but figure it can’t hurt to have multiple backup plans. Thanks again for the tips. I’ll ensure I make it a habit of continuously saving and making backups

1 Like

I wanna be very clear… i lost my project do to my mistake, i change configuration of action which holds screens that holds other screens, and there is no undo in actions…
But random changes in tables or columns do appear, and i did encounter them few times

2 Likes

Hi @Uzo Thanks for explaining and sorry to misinterpret your post. I was getting worried after learning of Alexandre’s situation along with the bug Michelle had in addition to your experience. So far Glide is perfect for my use case and the community has been great but if there are potential issues, it’s good to be transparent about them and develop contingency plans. Anyways, thanks again and sorry for my misunderstanding.

I did request for Glide to add undo buttons in action and tables editors also to have link to screens as functions to be call from other screens or tabs, that would save so much trouble, and make possible creating big and complex apps.
And another thing to clarify… i do not work or own competition platform

1 Like

OKAY some update:

While testing stuff, I stumbled on a second one. Glide please take note here as this might assist:

1. Copy a template from the app store. Let’s say Employee Directory. This has both rowID and user profile.
  2. When you copy any “Glide” template for some weird reason it duplicates itself on your dashboard. That is we or I (if only me) end up with two copies of the same template.

NOW THE FUN BEGINS:

1. Of the two templates, only one writes rowID to the sheet, but one does not. I cannot be sure which is the original and which the duplicate.
  2. The one that writes no rowID to the sheet, works fine and you can build your app from it (but useless as it writes no rowID to the sheet).
  3. The one that does writes rowID to the sheet (I am assuming this is the original) has a major bug that causes your app screens to go blank or make you lose any relations created. What is happening in the background is rowID is targeting only one column of the sheet ( I don’t know why) which is causing any live copies of the same sheet including the source sheet t lose all relations, and the screens to go blank. You don’t have to have a live copy to see this result by the way.
  4. I am not making any connections between this and what our other fellow Gliders are experiencing but maybe something worth looking into.
  5. For now all I can say is remove rowID from user profiles and your apps “will” work fine. Make the users fill out a form but house this information on a non-user profile sheet. I have tested this and it works. But if you can avoid rowID altogether you should not experience any blank screens or loss of relations.
1 Like

EVIDENCE

As I said live copy or no live copy - result still the same!

1 Like

Hi @Wiz.Wazeer would removing rowID affect Roles or RowOwners? I plan on having users fill out a user profile but will be on the Public with email Pro plan so was planning on using Row Owners a lot. Thanks for your help and time on this!

1 Like

Row Owners or Roles is not the issue here. It is rowID from what I can tell. Please email support team re this. They might have a different take on this.

1 Like

Thanks @Wiz.Wazeer Will do!

1 Like

Update:

Glide team,

I am no longer ending up with 2 of the same temp on my dashboard. Relations as well as rowID are working too. Not sure whether you guys fixed it or it fixed itself.

Either way, great news!

2 Likes