Where are independent screen configurations options?

I have inline lists, lists, detail screens, etc and I do not see this option anywhere.

Not sure what/when it should be available as a choice.

It should be available any time you use a “Show Detail Screen” action on a List.

I created a detail screen and have an inline list (Tasks) and I do not see/get the ISC for ‘Show Detail’.

When I click on the detail screen for Task and go to the detail screen, I have an inline list for feedback which is a relation within Task (a Task can have multiple feedback comments).

When I exam the Feedback inline list I have the ISC option.

Is their a reason one IL (Feedback) has ISC option available and the other (Tasks) IL does not? My task list table has dozens of entries and the feedback relation/table has 2.

When you say Tasks, do you mean that you are using a checklist style layout?

Nope, I am using an inline list/list - see screen shot attached.

Thanks!

I can’t think of a reason why ISC wouldn’t show off the top of my head, unless they maybe need a Row ID??? I would have to play around with it myself. But I have to ask why you want to use ISC with Tasks in the first place? Are they static tasks that never change, or are you constantly adding tasks? I ask because if you have a dynamic list of tasks that always change, then you would constantly need to be in the builder building new detail screens for each and every new task. It doesn’t seem scalable in your case. ISC is only really useful if you have a small list of static list items that you would maybe use for a navigation menu or something like that. Even then, I would never personally use ISC and instead use either custom actions if I needed each list item to navigate to a different screen, or just use visibility conditions in the one detail screen.

1 Like

This seems like the best solution, especially since Glide does not allow us to re-use custom screens nor custom actions. I would like both of those things to be available at some point. We do a LOT of busy work as we code with no-code using Glide! :slight_smile:

All good questions. I will check the ROW ID idea. I thought of using them dynamically based on an example I read in a post/documentation (the example was each student could have their own custom ‘home’ screen and I think it was the Jack Vaugn video). It seemed like some cool functionality.

After playing with ISC (after finding the ISC option) I realized the example “inferred” it could be used dynamically (aka uniquely for each student) but that is not the case. I wanted to have four different layouts based on the four different objects represented in the list.

The other - and frankly easier - implementation, which I did, was to use visibility within the screen based on object type. This is the technique I usually use but thought I was missing something with ISC.

Thanks for looking through this and giving insight.

1 Like

The important thing to remember with ISC, is that you have to configure and design the detail screen for each and every list item…even new list items that are added. If you have 10 list items that only fit into 4 categories, then you can’t use ISC to configure screens at category level.

1 Like

was this removed in the new glide apps?

It is not an option for now, I don’t know if they plan to add it.

I believe it is planned.
Custom action is a simple workaround in the meantime.

1 Like

I’ve been using that for smaller collections, but I now have a collection of 20+ items that need independent screens. The workaround I’ve managed so far in order to get the collection look is to filter the collection per each item and have many collections of one item though this ain’t ideal in terms of loading date as my understanding is that the full collection data would still be loaded for every copy.

Shouldn’t matter. The contents of the table are loaded regardless when the app is loaded, but there aren’t duplicate copies of the data. Each filtered collection is pulling from the same source of data. It shouldn’t adversely affect performance.

3 Likes