What about external data

A lot of people are asking can I connect glideapp with external data, can I use external api,…
most of the time people say no because It is not a a built in component.

I used different solutions depending on what you want to do (zapier, google sheets api,…)
what are you best practices concerning this type of connections ?

1 Like

Google sheets currently allows for api calls via scripts. I use that as well as scripts to automatically convert data and impoort data into my google sheets. Glide will soon support api calls directly which will be great. I will be making a tuorial (or @Robert_Petitto will ) that shows how to create an api with your excel folders to acces them directly when the API feature is up and running (@Robert_Petitto makes a million tutorials).

2 Likes

do you know the roadmap for this ?

It’s in testing now. They haven’t given a specific date but as fast as they work I imagine before March for sure maybe even next week.

What is the external data source you’d like to use?

2 Likes

Firebase would be an awesome start, but ideally any REST API data source.

For reference:

3 Likes

rest API in general
I manage to connect my firebase project using scripts but clearly if you want to go to full no code it would be great to connect external data.
I think in more general aspect that allowing to build custom components is a good way.
My clients are telling me that they would like have more customization and ofter they want to go to other products because of this.

2 Likes