Visibility and Filter Data based on values in a Relation column

I discovered Glide a few months ago and built a first app. I’m using it again now for another app, but it’s been a while and I’m struggling to remember how to set visibility and filtering criteria for a component based on the values in a relation column for the associated table.

For your context, I have two tables: an “Product issues” table with a list of issues that customers might have with a product (e.g., too big, too slow, etc.); and a “Questions to ask” table with a list of questions the store owners should ask to help resolve each issue (e.g., what size is the customer? how old is the customer? etc.)

For this app, I use data coming from Airtable through the integration. In Airtable, these two tables are connected with “linked columns”. As a result, in Glide, I have a relation column called “Questions” in my “Issues” table, and one called “Issues” in my “Questions” table.

I will note that for these relation columns, I cannot see all the settings I usually have when adding a relation column directly in Glide. For instance, I can’t check or uncheck “match multiple” for these automatically-created relation columns. That said, both columns have multiple items in them for a given row, so I assume it’s match multiple.

On the page dedicated to a given product issue, I want to have a list of the related questions. For this, I thought I could create a “List” collection component and add a visibility criteria like “Show component when the product issue’s “Name” is included in the “Product issues” relation column for a given question”. However, I can’t see to do that. I’m pasting a screenshot of what I see in the visibility settings.

Glide Pull-Down

In that pull-down, I expected to be able to select the “Questions” table and the “Product issues” relation column from that able. But I only see “User profile” and the columns from the “Product issues” table.

I hope this all makes sense. I’m sure I’m misunderstanding something obvious, but I haven’t used Glide in a few months. I was a newbie then and I’m not a rusty newby. I appreciate all the help. Let me know if I can add more details.

Shouldn’t you use the relation as the data source for your collection, rather than trying to use it as a filter?

2 Likes

Thanks @ThinhDinh for responding. You’re right; I’d forgotten you could use a relation table as the source in this case. Appreciate your help!

1 Like

No worries, glad it could help!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.