I have a weird issue with uploaded videos to the app.
My app allows users to upload videos to the app. Some of the videos uploaded are audible but not visible for some reason. For sure the video (prior to loading) is playing well on the user’s device so something happens after the upload.
I think all devices. When I view the user’s account on my laptop, I can see the issue that he sees. So I don’t think it’s a device specific. It’s something with the app of file. But because he can see 1 of the 3 videos, he sent I tend to think that the issue is with the app??
Codec could still be an issue if it’s different between the three files. Some devices or browsers may not be able to render certain codecs. If we are comparing iOS vs android and Safari vs chrome, then it’s still something to consider.
I’ll take a closer look later today when I have time. I did click on both links and the one that doesn’t work for you also doesn’t work for me. I’m getting the same result on chrome on both a windows laptop and an android device. Since I wasn’t viewing the links in a glide app (opened the links directly from the email I received in my Gmail application), I don’t think it’s specificly a glide app issue.
One more question…are the non working videos recorded in vertical format by any chance?
So here’s what I found so far. Both files appear to be in landscape. Chrome was only able to play the working file. Windows video player could play both. VLC also could play both files.
If you look at the screenshots below, you will see that both files have different codecs. I’m familiar with H.264 being a pretty widely used standard for MP4 files. But, for the non-working file, I noticed that it was instead using an H.265 codec. I’m not familiar with that codec, so I did some searching and found the following info:
What I’m understanding is that H.265 HEVC is a more efficient codec that takes up less space, but uses hardware decoding. I’m also seeing mention of it being expensive to license, so only bigger companies license it’s use. (ahem…Apple). It’s also used to help compress high resolution video (like 4k or 8k video). Both of your videos appear to be 1080, so not 4k. I’m not sure why they would be different in this case. Could it have been different devices? Could it be settings that were changed between video recordings? Could it be apple just being apple and making everything complicated for everybody else?
So what I’m guessing is that some of the videos are being recorded on an iphone using the less used H.265 codec instead of the more popular H.264 codec. Since Apple has purchased the licensing rights to use the codec, I suppose that’s why it works on Safari. Chrome/Android seems to have limited support…possibly depending on the device. I guess if you can find out if there are different settings that were used when the videos were recorded, that might help to narrow it down. I don’t really have a solution since it comes down to browser/os support for the codec. I think the only things that could be done would be to change the settings on the offending device, run a manually conversion on the file to convert from h.265 to h.264, or find some third party service that could possibly look at each file in the table and automatically process a conversion.
This is the codec information for the working file.