User Profiles Question

Hi Everyone!

I’m getting very close to finishing this app! Very excited.

Here’s what I’m looking to do, wondering if I should have it within the app or somewhere else.

My app contains a directory of businesses. It will be used by the public and I do not want them to sign in to use the app, at least for now.

I would like businesses however the option to sign-in and edit their row of information if needed. I have the user profile sheet set to original sheet of data. I also created hub for me to relay information to them under a tab, I set the visibility of email to email, so it’s only seen by those logged in.

So the question is: Can I have it where the sign in icon shows only for these set of people? I wouldn’t want the public to see it since they don’t need to sign in. Not sure if its possible, but thought I would ask.

Thanks!

The sign in icon will show for everybody, but since you have a user profiles sheet already can you try setting another field to be the condition for your “Profiles” tab?

Let’s say the business name for example, if you set the condition that the business name in the user profiles is not empty, only businesses who log in will see the Profiles tab where they can edit their information, would that work for you?

Yes I have the login tab set for visibility as email is logged in user. But thought its kinda weird to be a user, see this and not be able to login.

Can you share some screenshots of what you’re having now?

Which option you have selected here?
Public with Email means anyone can login.

This is the menu:

The Business Login shows for all, just think it’s a little weird if I am a non-business and see that and can’t log in

Image 41

I have public with email. How does the email whitelist work? I can’t test it yet since I’m not PRO.

Glide can only know who is using the app if they log in with their email address. Email whitelist let’s you specify email addresses that are allowed to sign in to your app. This login would occur when the app is opened (not through a button in a public app). I don’t think there is currently a way to have a public app with email whitelist functionality too. It’s a cool idea though since it could allow a business to have a public facing app and a protected login section for employees.

I suppose if you had a Pro app, you could have a public app and then have a sign in button in a hidden tab that is made visible with a pre-defined password. That password would be shared with employees and it would lead them to the sign-in button/page.

1 Like

@Jen_NYCP Public with Email is fine. You probably does not need to have “Business ONLY Login” Menu item.
Check the below video on user profiles. So basically you will have user profile sheet pre-filled with Business user’s and have a column which will the rights user have so for business owner you can have editor permission, for public user empty and for support/you admin right (To Delete/disable restaurants…). Then you need to setup on a restaurant page a condition to check the signed-in user is the owner of the place and has edit rights, then show edit screen to update the details.
I hope the information is clear. Let me know if any help required.

https://docs.glideapps.com/all/reference/privacy-and-per-user-data/user-profiles

Ah I see! Hmm so there’s no way to stop certain people from logging in with a whitelist, but still have the app be public?

Oh, how does that password thing work where would they type in the password to see the hidden tab?

Not that I know of.

What I do is add a text entry field that writes to a column in the user profile sheet. I also have a single value column in the user profile sheet to store the actual Admin Password. From there, set the other component on the page to only be visible when the text entry field matches the Admin Password. You can also hide the text entry field once the correct password is entered.

@Coupons_Deal is right though. The easier approach is to let everyone sign-in and have a process for assigning roles that can view certain items or tabs in the app. If you really want a fully public-facing app and restrict logins, I think you need to use the password approach I mentioned above.

1 Like

Not with the same app i think.

1 Like

Just keep the app Public. Let anybody sign in through the built in sign in button in the menu if they want, but set a condition on the edit button to only show the edit option when the signed in user email matches the email in the business row.

1 Like

How does the sign in button show if the app is public?

It should show if you have something in the side menu to make it show, or for sure it should show if you enable user profiles.

Ah yes, the app needed to update or something. Can I change the text of ‘Sign in’ or add text below that?

You can’t change the text that says Sign In, but I have manipulated the menu a little bit to show a dash as a sort of horizontal break line. They do point to an existing sheet, but I don’t have any components on it, so if a user clicks on it, it serves no purpose and shows a blank screen. I suppose you could kind of use it to display the text ⮬Business Login⮭ or something like that.

1 Like

Ah ok! Maybe I can have it say ‘Businesses Sign in Above’ Trying to add some call to action for them.

1 Like