Updates to Glide’s new plans and pricing

All plans allow app creation. What do you mean?

Glide Tables are available on all plans. On all plans, including the free plan, updates on Glide Tables are free (included in the plan).

1 Like

In my opinion, the “personal” and “business” email definitions are creating as much confusion as ‘private’ vs. ‘public’ emails, and as Mikhail suggested, it can also be circumvented if a company is willing to let go of Airtable/sheets integrations and Glide API. Maybe a simpler solution for distinguishing users - like public vs. private users - would be less confusing :man_shrugging:

Apologies for the confusion. I read at the description of each plan and noted that there is no mention on app in the description. The question mark at the end of my sentence indicated that i wasn’t sure with my statement. Thanks for the clarification.

On the question i posted, would there be any flexibility for us to just purchase for extra storage, instead of upgrading our plan?. Noted that Team Plan has lesser quota on number of updates per month (i.e 5000), compared to Legacy Plan (i.e 10000 updates per month). So upgrading to Team Plan will upgrade my current storage from 50GB to 100GB, but will downgrade my number of updates from 10,000 to 5,000.

@Jarvis - Thanks for the fantastic summary!

Dropping some thoughts here:

We’re happy to see the Maker plan land in a sweet spot :pray:

For the Team and Business plans, we’re discussing several of the ideas coming up in the forum, alongside the comments coming from customers who aren’t posting here.

Regarding unlimited apps versus treating them as add-ons:

One of the philosophies behind Glide is that creating custom software should be as easy as creating a spreadsheet. That’s where many (most?) companies currently turn when they need to build an ad-hoc solution. They treat their spreadsheets like databases, maybe with a form attached for data collection.

It can work in a pinch, but it’s severely limited in functionality.

You can think of Glide as the next step beyond form + spreadsheet. You wouldn’t pay per spreadsheet, so you shouldn’t pay per Glide app on the Team and Business plans.

Regarding the comparisons with CRMs and turnkey software:

We’re not competing directly. The use cases we showcase in our marketing – e.g. CRMs, portals, knowledge bases, field apps – are examples of the kinds of custom tools and software that users can build with Glide.

5 Likes

Thanks for the response @NoCodeAndy

Agreed

Yep, but in Google Sheets we don’t pay per spreadsheet user either, whether they’re an employee or external client/vendor. Even paid Google Workspace users (usually clients) are paid for by their respective companies, not by the owner of the spreadsheet. If spreadsheets did charge us for users, then I reckon many of us would trade having a higher number of users than unlimited spreadsheets.

The point I was trying to make is that smaller companies may not end up using unlimited apps in Glide, and even if they do, the following seems like a better trade-off in the new plans because their use case will justify the additional costs - having a higher number of base users (preferably with different quotas for external users) over unlimited apps, which can be a separate add-on along with other separate add-ons such as row usage, monthly app actions, AI usage, and storage. We know we can’t go back to the legacy plans, and we have to work within the boundaries of the new plans, but this seems like a better trade-off.

Great, looking forward to it. Hope the concerns about parity pricing and having external users with lower usage quotas play a part in the discussions and final Team and Business plans.

1 Like

@NoCodeAndy While it’s common for companies to use spreadsheets, which are necessary when starting with a minimum of organization, their widespread use is not acceptable, especially with the interaction of multiple users, for various reasons, including data security. In this context, Glide emerges and uses it as a commercial slogan to reach those business users who still use Excel for everything. Use Glide and turn a spreadsheet into an application! Targeted at companies that can change their way of working.

Over time, Glide is discovered by another group of more experienced users who see the tool’s potential to create commercial applications and sell solutions to businesses. Agencies are formed, and software is sold, but with changes in plans, many of these users stop using it; videos about it can be found on YouTube.

Now we land with the Make plan, which, as you can see, is very well accepted by the community. They removed the update count on Glide tables, which is very positive. However, among its main strengths is what we all need: the free creation of users, which is the cornerstone and weakness of the team and business plans.

In my opinion, part of the open discussion here focuses on the topic of users and nothing else. I still think they should find a way to monetize these large plans without using users as limitations and remove the strong pressure they always have to avoid what they understand as abusive use, which is the user registration issue. Storage and the number of updates are central issues when estimating usage. Many times, users are just viewers of applications but need to be registered for privacy reasons.

In conclusion, I hope you understand, but I don’t see a major problem here other than the user issue. Imagine the freedom of users in large plans, as was done in Make. Do you have any idea how many migrations and new users would switch to those plans, contributing significant value to the company? Perhaps I’m mistaken, but I believe that until there is a user unlock, this doesn’t have much of a solution. We appreciate, as always, the exchange and the good disposition you have with the community. Greetings!

6 Likes

Can’t help but agree

Yep, either viewers or minimal users like clients and vendors, who need to log in to see only their relevant info.

That’s a good case - if a lot of Makers think about switching to the Team plan with its new updates, that’s certainly a win for Glide as well.

2 Likes

I think that it would be more logical to pay for an additional app (when it is live) than having a 20 users limit per app.

Rational: you can’t build an economic model with an app limited at 20 users, while you can app per app with unilimited users for each

2 Likes

Dear @NoCodeAndy ,
will there be an opportunity to comment on the options before the final decision?

There’s always opportunities to comment on whatever we do.

That’s why we have the forum. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just came up today. Admin at the local church who knows I do Apps asked me to solve a problem for him with Excel (needed a very complex SUM).

I knew I could do it with Glide in 10 minutes by setting up a relation inside the table and adding two Rollup columns.

So he moved the file to Sheets (because … Excel) and shared it with me. I did just what I outlined above. It worked like a charm.

Now tomorrow, when I go to share it with him, I realized that:

1. I am on the legacy non-profit plan, which has access to Sheets and Excel
  2. The Maker plan ($50/mo) has access to neither.
  3. The Free plan also has access to neither.
  4. The Legacy Free plan could have used Sheets.

I cannot add him as a member of my non-profit team; he belongs to a different non-profit.

I’m not going to be able to get him to buy a Maker Team to solve this one problem (even if Maker had Access to Exel).

Not sure if Glide has the ability to limit directional access to Sheets, but if so, allowing attaching a read-only Sheet to the free plan could benefit Glide w/o the updates overhead.

Adding Sheets (and possibly Excel) to the Maker plan seems like a pretty essential part of a non-profit, which typically are forced to use a hodge-podge of different tools. Allowing Glide to work with those other tools would seem a good direction to go.

Maker has access to Sheets.

2 Likes

Thank you.

I could have sworn I was looking at some documentation today (not the pricing page, but Glide Documentation) that said otherwise. I did not cross-check the pricing page, because I was heads down into other things.

I know it takes a while to propagate everything everywhere.

*update:

I went back to look and it was correct on the other page as well. I had just remembered it wrong:

1 Like

The other option you have (on both Free and Maker) is to take the Excel/GSheet data and import it into a native table.

I love the native tables. Great for standalone apps. But I’ve been doing databases for too long to be comfortable double-managing a set of data. It’s more than just double the work.

oh, so you want to continue to add/edit data in the original data source?
I didn’t realise that.

1 Like

Hi all,

I have the 2 questions regarding new plans :
1 - I can see on the community that updates are only counted for integration use and when the API is used. Does this still apply for the Maker Plan ? (see my screenshot of the pricing page Flexible Pricing Plans That Scale With Your Business | Glide )

Capture d’écran 2024-02-09 à 10.50.06

2 - How about unlimited users since glide tables are limited to 25K rows ?

It applies equally to all Plans. (Updates are not possible on the Free Plan, because it doesn’t support anything that would incur an update).

Unlimited does not mean infinite. Row limits still apply.

Thanks for the quick answer.

1 - Means that info on the website must be updated.

2 - Can the user table initially created with a glide table be converted to a big table once 25K rows are reached ?

Sorry, I don’t understand. Which website?

No. This is not supported by Big Tables.