Upcoming: MySQL Support

YES! Holy ****, yes! Super excited for this.

I would love to be a part of this trial, but $999 is prohibitively expensive! I run multiple apps on Glide which inform my teams about how each creative is performing in their Facebook Ads account.
I ETL my data into Google Bigquery, then run SQL on it, import query output into Google Sheets which then powers the Glide app. I run two Pro apps using this and would love to cut the import into Google Sheets and directly connect to MySQL output from Google Cloud.

This is a perfect use case for me, but none of my clients will pay $999 for it yet. I wish there was another way, especially since this will be a proof of concept to start with.

2 Likes

I’ve been working with SQL for work (I’m a data analyst) for 5 years now. The volume of available records in operational work is tens of millions and hundreds of tables.
I would be happy to participate in helping with the development of the connector for MySQL, but I am not financially able to provide such payments.

SQL, Airtable … even if it is a detail, I’d like to see how it will manage the “multi select” for Choice component (one my dream)

2 Likes

That’s awesome! What I like about Glideapps is a bit like playing Lego. New bricks are coming along, of course it can be frustrating because sometime you almost have to rebuilt from scratch but rebuilding your apps helps you also try to find a minimalist way of getting the result done.

LeGlideO copie

1 Like

I have literally been checking the Glide Announcements weekly for this news. This is incredibly exciting!

Absolutely a great and exciting new feature that will improve reliability especially for enterprise customers. This combined with triggers, stored procedures and perhaps some of the cloud functions available could allow for some neat data manipulation.

The only thing that may or may not be an issue with this is the latency for updates. If Glide updates MySQL table A and then behind the scenes table B gets updated will Glide see that update with the sort of caching that goes on? If you had some sort of an API endpoint you could hit to provide a hint to Glide that it needs to sync up a data source it may otherwise not realize was updated that would allow the experience to be rock solid.

Kudos to you guys for adding additional data source options.

Thanks folks, we’re excited to offer this one!

If your company is interested in a trial, please reach out as well. I’m happy to chat about your procurement requirements (legal/security/finance) and work to fit your needs.

Also, for folks working at corporations/enterprises, please bring Glide to work and talk to your IT team about using us!

3 Likes

Regards from Germany, love your post :wink:

That’s very exciting news, would be a great addition. I was really interested. Unfortunately I think the pricing is out of realm of possibilities for small and medium sized businesses. I (non-IT’er) use glide for when I want to start quickly and want to adapt quickly because I do not exactly know what flow I should implement. Instead of writing everything out, I like to just do it and then adapt. Glide is a must have in that respect. It is truly great. However when you start to combine all these SAAS products that are all highly inflationary, It starts to become really expensive (Glide pro + zapier + calendly + gsuite + …). On top of that it is still very prone to faults, due to the makers set up (i.e. me). So a Mysql option would make everything more stable. But still, in my humble opinion, these kinds of price levels will only work for really scalable 100% online service businesses in large markets. And for them it will probably be too cheap. It will not work for SME companies that do actual physical work and want to f.e. automate or digitize their paper trail, like a plumbing company or a solar panel installer. If I had to guess, it will be used a lot by “want to conquer the world” startups in their first stage untill they can secure a first round of investment. Less by the “20 years in business” family-owned physical companies. Off course I might be wrong. It’s just opinion and everyone has one of those.

1 Like

I do not consider this price point to be a ‘forever’ option. Glide has to start somewhere, and my understanding is that the Cloud SQL link will not be as self-service as the rest of Glide is right now. I used to run a SaaS software company with 40 staff… new features are somewhat scary things and need a lot more hand-holding and supervision before they are stable enough for the masses. One way to achieve this is picking out your first customers, and one way of doing that is by price. The other way is by keeping things secret and only telling a special few - so I am really happy Glide is going the open way :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Well articulated.

1 Like

Great new feature! Very promising.

A grand a month? I did not know you had companies of that scale using Glide…

I agree with Wiz, you hit the nail on the head. I do feel like the more plans Glide decides to create to increase their revenue the more they will isolate the community that helped build Glide into what it is and in doing so make that community look elsewhere for a similar tool. I love Glide and have recommended it to hundreds of people, but with companies like Adalo and Bubble.io offering much more for less it’s hard to stay on board with these kinds of changes. I understand that this feature isn’t currently offered and it feels like your current community wouldn’t be missing out since they do not currently use it. On the same face of that coin I’ve seen features that were originally PRO become Private PRO and we either pay more or do without. A SQL database/server does not cost a tenth of that for someone to maintain. This is similar to the offerings of publishing our app to the play store or Apple where it does not cost nearly as much as is being charged and makes no sense as to why the monthly fee is so steep.

3 Likes

You could use BigQuery Connected sheets to sync the data to google sheets easily

Been considering this for my app to reduce its load - and load to the google sheet only filtered/relevant data while maintaining everything in a single database

2 Likes

My initial excitement to this news was based on the thought that we could use WordPress as a means to collect, organise and manage data supplied by users via a customised front end (very easy with custom fields and a couple of plugins) and then present that data visually in a Glide app as opposed to the traditional route of using Themes.

But my enthusiasm was quickly tempered by the price tag as it’s out of my league.

It’s an enterprise product well beyond the scope of my WP idea and probably best suited to firms with legacy systems.

As a so-called ‘no coder’ (or ‘blow coder’ as I prefer), I’ll wait for the Airtable integration.

Any news on the row limit delay function?

1 Like

We’ve decided to put MySQL on hold. Most likely this will be revisited towards the end of 2022. If you have use cases where using MySQL or other databases as a data source please private message me.

2 Likes