Upcoming: MySQL Support

:arrow_down:

Just sayin’… :wink:

3 Likes

This is great :+1:

My gut tells me that this probably won’t be an issue in the future. It’s already common knowledge that row count limits are only enforced with free (and basic?) plans. In fact, if you spend a few minutes with a browser inspector you’ll discover that the real row count limit on a pro plan is significantly higher than 25k :wink:

Performance however, is a different matter. If Glide is truly going to scale to the lofty heights that we all hope it will, then we need to be talking about billions - or even trillions - of rows, not tens of thousands. The current model where all data is downloaded to an end users device clearly won’t scale to these sorts of numbers, so I think the challenge for Glide might be how to support those sorts of numbers (for individual apps) whilst maintaining an optimum end user experience. The fact that they’re getting ready to offer MySQL support makes me believe that they are already addressing this challenge :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I have to copy my data from my self hostes mysql database to my google sheet. So it would be perfect for me to connect direct to my database. But 999$ per Month. No way.

7 Likes

If I wanted to learn how to code, I wouldn’t have started with nocode-tools like Glide :wink:
If there are companies that are happy with this and it is a good source of income for Glide, great of course, but it feels far away from the goal to help 2 billion people make tools.
But let’s see, maybe Glide can succeed in both goals!

4 Likes

I hear you. But I quite like the 2 step approach of developing a no code app that can be validated with tens of thousand’s of early adopters. Thereafter, bring in the experts to help scale if further.

1 Like

Let’s see! It might be my journalism background that I sometimes am a little sceptical :wink: . I always hear the importance of the word ‘focus’ and that seems to shift imho. Which is in the end all up to Glide of course, it’s not my company. And maybe they can cater more target audiences at the same time.
We’ll see. But having said that, I can’t say enough that I am very happy with all the stuff I can do now.

4 Likes

This is fantastic for Enterprise customers, outstanding! :raised_hands:

That’s fantastic news! But $999 is unreasonably expensive. At most $30-50 on top of that for a single app is OK.

6 Likes

David did say initially an enterprise license is required. So I wouldn’t be getting all in a fuss over the pricing just yet…

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly

Exactly. This just opens the doors to other data sources down the road. MySQL is basically an industry standard for corporations which makes sense why there’s a limited rollout to build/test the feature at the enterprise level.

3 Likes

Finally! This is sooo cool.
In my old life we used SQL to build apps. Really scalable.

1 Like

Yes, as @Robert_Petitto mentioned, the architecture we’ll create to support Sheets and MySQL will make it much easier to add more data sources, like Airtable and Excel, later this year.

This work has no effect on row limits, although we’re starting to plan changes that will allow partial loading of data. This is a longer-term effort, though.

16 Likes

now this is exciting ! I support an Oracle database ERP application and it would be amazing to create apps against this. Way easier than the ones i am writing now.

I assume the MySQL integration of full database support of insert, update and delete ?

1 Like

:star_struck:

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes, agree, unreasonably expensive.

Not for enterprises tho that are already spending that $ amount for the plan. It will come in due time for the rest of us. Patience!

1 Like

Glide Enterprise includes a lot more than SQL support: Enterprise • Glide

We’re requiring that you’re an Enterprise customer so that we know you’re committed to onboarding your database and working closely with us as we develop the feature.

6 Likes