๐—š๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด๐˜€ ๐—ณ๐—ฟ๐—ผ๐—บ ๐˜€๐—บ๐—ฎ๐—น๐—น ๐—ฐ๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ป๐˜๐—ฟ๐˜† ๐—–๐—ฟ๐—ผ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฎ ๐Ÿ‘‹

Hello to all,

My name is Sinisa Bogicevic and i am from Croatia (Europe), close to Italyโ€ฆ
I am system administrator 18 years. A long time ago I programmed in Visual Basic 6,โ€ฆ

Now Iโ€™m learning making android applications with NoCode buildersโ€ฆ Iโ€™m learning about Glide apps And I think Glide is a phenomenal platform for creating apps for mobile phones. I recently got sick from a rare disease (Guillain Bare Syndrome) before 6 months and now I can move my fingers but not like before (I can be in bed and type on the laptop), I canโ€™t even walk on crutches so Iโ€™m in bed. It is a rare autoimmune disease that attacks the peripheral nerves in the legs and arms. Paralysis of the legs from the knees down and of the hands and fingers. In very severe cases, the whole body is paralyzed. Recovery is an average of 1-3-5 years and in many cases even longer. There are cases that recover completely, while someone else has big problems for years. But this disease is always present and never completely disappears.

My project in Glideapps will be of a humanitarian nature, I am a member of several facebook groups about this disease and there I got real information and experiences of people who are now sick or were sick. I want to make an application for all of us who are sick with this rare disease. The application should be free for users.
I will describe how I envisioned the application: 1. opening a new user account: - email address (must be entered) - password (must be entered) - first name (as an option and not as a condition) - last name (as an option and not as a condition) - nickname (must be something enter) - country (required to enter something) - City (required to enter something), - (add your small photo (if it would not take up too much space in the database)) - year of birth (required to enter) - something about yourself (optional type) and the most important option - โ€œMy story about Guillain Bare syndromeโ€ (must write something) and option - โ€œMy new story of my Guillain Bare syndromeโ€ (it is not mandatory to write anything) that part will serve as new information for (additional new condition disease and how he feels or which medicine helped him or similar).
And save data.
User can sees other โ€œuser profilesโ€ and when he clicks on the profile of another user, he sees all information about him/her except the email address and cannot change the information. 5. the user must see a โ€œfilter optionโ€ in which he can search the profile with: nickname or name or surname or country or city or year of birth โ€ฆ In first screen of applications need be: - log in - sign in - reset password. After successfully login can see all profile and can pick any profile and see all data except email address. Also can use filter for searchโ€ฆ And in navigation bar at the bottom need be also icon for open web page in application (webview) (link to web site about news about research on โ€œGuillain Bare syndromeโ€) โ€ฆ .

I think that such an application would help to create a community about this disease and that users could also read other peopleโ€™s experiences. You could find useful information there.

This application would not go on the Playstore, only will share on Facebook groups of โ€œGuillain Bare Syndromeโ€ only for people who are sick and need information and experiences of other people who are sick or have been sick. Please advice which Glideapps subscription I need for that app? To begin with, there might be few users, but maybe there will be, for example, 5,000โ€ฆ Is it possible to make the database in google table?

I am asking for your help if someone would like to help me create a template and database for this application for humanitarian purposes. I would be very grateful for help.

I can pay a small amount for help (I canโ€™t do more because in Croatia when youโ€™re sick, the salary is much lower).

Best regards

6 Likes

Hello Sinisa, what a nice self-introduction and thoughtful project you want to build on Glide. Hopefully your app will help you and others with your rare condition.

Iโ€™m not sure, but you might want to build a project on Pages rather than on Apps. Others might chime in to give their opinion.

You could build most if not all of the features you described.

• Unless you absolutely need Google Sheets, you could use Glide Tables which will make your life easier (and app faster).

• The first part of your app when a user first signs up: for this onboarding phase, you could search for โ€œonboardingโ€ or โ€œcustom formโ€ (by @Darren_Murphy), many discussions in the forum will help you.

• Private user profiles vs public user profiles: thereโ€™s is a tutorial on exactly this topic by @Robert_Petitto, youโ€™ll find the video in the tutorial section. The basic idea is youโ€™ll need to create 2 tables for this that will be linked.

• For the search feature, a search bar will be perfect.

• For the filter feature, the native filter feature would do or a custom filter would be another option should you want a more advanced user experience (you can search โ€œcustom filterโ€ in the forum).

• For now, I donโ€™t think you would need to build a password feature and you could use Glideโ€™s built-in security features which are probably safer then what us developers could build.

I hope the ideas above might help get you started. Welcome to Glide :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you very much for advices.

1 Like

Greetings from a descendant of Croatians! My grandparents were from there.

I donโ€™t think you need to start with a subscription while you are building out the app, and when you do go public and share it on Facebook, you could go with the Starter subscription. Since it seems this will be for a limited number of people, you could wait to get a bigger subscription after you see how many users are using every month.

However, if you will be storing a lot of images, you may need to go with a larger subscription right away. It doesnโ€™t sound like what you are building is for the medical community, though, and probably will only link to outside documents and web sites as needed.

I agree that you also should consider using Glide Sheets, and that you should consider using Pages instead of app. Pages scale better to tablets and laptops and such.

You will find lots of help from this community if you get stuck or have questions. I know paid experts are available if you want someone to build out the app for you. But with your experience in I.T., you should give it a go yourself.

You could start from a template, or at least look at the health section of the Glide template market, but they are mostly apps in there right now.

However copying those apps and studying them could give you some ideas, and if you find one that is close to what you are trying to build, you could turn it into Pages using the database as a starting point.

Hiโ€ฆ my advice isโ€ฆ always use Google Sheets as a base, even if you think you wonโ€™t need themโ€ฆ as your app grow, there will be many practical uses of google services.

As I think you already know, we can now add Google Sheets as an external data source anytime, there is no need to start the project with a GS anymore.

I would understand that you, Uzo, would use GS as a base because you are so proficient in GS and Google AppScript (GAS).

Would you still advise someone who might not be particularly skilled at GS nor GAS to have GS as a base? And if so for what reason?

(I understand the spirit: donโ€™t turn your back on GS too quickly, GAS and the integration possibilities of GS are valuable.)

2 Likes

alwaysโ€ฆ this is the real power of Glide, to have GS as a baseโ€ฆ many Glide users start creating App databases in Glide tablesโ€ฆ then it is a hard time to bring them back to GS when they need some special useโ€ฆ like triggers, PDF, bulk emailing, time driven actions, archiving data to free Glide row limitโ€ฆ free integrations without using Zappier or any other third party servicesโ€ฆ so yes, the Best way to start the Glide App is to make it integrated with GSโ€ฆ even if you think you will not need it.
60% of my customers start it withoutโ€ฆ or even worstโ€ฆ they chose Glide Pagesโ€ฆ thenโ€ฆ their only option was to build from the scratch. You cant have top functionalities without it.

BTWโ€ฆ there is no better platform than Glide! I love it, and I am 100% committed to it. it seve me countless hours of creating UIs for my Apps

These two aspects in particular make a lot of sense.

You seem to want to avoid Zapier or Make. I try to avoid them as well.

I wonder if using JS and the YesCode column in Glide Tables would be similar to using Google AppScript to allow for the top functionalities you speak of.

in many cases yesโ€ฆ but GAS gives you the freedom to access other spreadsheets and web apps โ€ฆ and parametersโ€ฆ and full control of the spreadsheetsโ€ฆ and is so fast!!! hundreds of thousands of rows processing in the blink of the eye LOLโ€ฆ no edit limit (unless is for really big queries)

1 Like

the yes code and JS column, are such great tools, that is what makes Glide the best!!! no mention of rich text component with HTM/CSS inputsโ€ฆ no one can beat Glide with that!

This exchange above might be useful to you @Sinisa_Bogicevic for your project. My apologies for the tangent and hijacking your self-introduction.

Back to โ€œstart your project on Glide Tables or Google Sheets?โ€

At the beginning of your project, it seems that you would be fine with Glide Tables. The question would arise should you start needing advanced features. You could then opt for Javascript in Glide Tables, AppScript in Google Sheets, or Zapier/Make with either Glide Tables or Google Sheets. I donโ€™t think there is a right or wrong answer here, simply different approaches and what one might feel more comfortable with.

My personal approach would be to start with Glide Tables (keep development in Glide as long as possible), and then either expand with Make (nocode) or with Javascript in a Glide Table (code).

EDIT: And @Uzo sees it slightly differently I think, and thatโ€™s fine, we all have different comfort levels.

1 Like

Welcome to the family, @Sinisa_Bogicevic. I visited Split a few years ago. One of my favourite places!

Great to have you here. A very thoughtful project indeed.