Tablet mode is live!

Glide Devs, not sure if you’re aware, but if you resize your desktop browser window below 600px width, the app responsively switches to what appears to be Tablet Mode. It does so regardless of whether you have activated Tablet Mode in settings. The widest mobile width is about 414, so 600px responsively gives the app a very Tablet mode look. And for the same reasons other users are mentioning here about strangely scaled images and formatting that just doesn’t match the mobile version’s cleanness, I’d like to prevent any visitors from seeing my app in Tablet Mode… at least until we have a way to customize differences between the two UIs.

I discovered this simply by resizing the browser to fit with other windows open on my desktop.

1 Like

so @John_Cabrera - I have resized my browser and ‘installed’ the app on my desktop.
(per this video) https://youtu.be/9fQSH-a3Nus

Are you saying that this IS NOT part of the PRO feature desktop mode … that it will work no matter what level the app is?

It’s true that if we enter a tab located in the menu, no way to go back to the main tab of the app !..
@Mark : any plan to fix this issue ? As this tablet view feature is in Production, any user navigating in the menu tabs will not be able to go back to home and so, may definitively leave the app.

Thanks ! (this bug has maybe already been discussed, I am going to check in this forum)

1 Like

It shouldn’t do that. At some point it will use the whole browser window to show the app, but it should still behave like a phone app, i.e. there shouldn’t be a split between the list on the left and the details on the right, for example.

If you see something else, please share a link to the app and a screenshot.

I’ll shoot a video of what I’m seeing.

It’s possible what I’m interpreting as a responsive shift from the phone view (with the iPhone frame background) to Tablet view, you folks are considering a responsive shift from constrained phone view (with the iPhone frame background) to full screen phone view. Problem is that full screen phone view now begins at 599px. And there are no phones on the market that have such a wide width. All phones are around 414 and then tablets jump up to about 750 in landscape. So if any of my desktop users resize their browsers to -599 they’ll get a full screen phone view where graphics are stretched in ways that hurt the look of the app.

Wish it wasn’t a Pro feature seem like something it should just do.

2 Likes

Yeah…I hear ya.

2 Likes

@Mark disregard my previous comment. I’m realizing that my app (since it doesn’t use a list view for it’s main tab view) doesn’t have that split-screen look when in Tablet mode. It just looks like a responsively larger version of the phone app. And by shrinking your browser window small enough on Desktop, you can force the switch from browser version of the app with the QR code to the full screen version of the app. I still think 599px is an odd place to start that change since most phones are around 414px wide… but I was forgetting the fact that turning your phone to landscape creates a similar responsive stretch of the screen which is larger than 414px. It isn’t ideal, because enlarged Image components I have as icons look pretty awful (even wish there was a way to lock orientation in the app itself)… but it’s clearly not a bug.

Excited to see where this feature goes! I turned it on, but then turned it off. I was surprised to see the app sort of on the left hand side and a preview window more on the right hand side vs the entire thing being more full screen.

Strange, using my android phone in landscape mode, I get the same result than the tablet mode…

Anyone also observed this behavior?

Many thanks for the “home page” item automatically added at the first place in the menu!

In case an app was made of only one tab + items in the menu, it was not possible to go back to the home page after navigating the menu items.

Now it’s possible. Great!

1 Like

I am also seeing the same thing…
And I am actually on a tablet. I also just switched to Pro, thinking that this was a ‘downgraded’ version of tablet mode for free apps, but it still remains. I must note that this was not the case before July, when tablet mode was available to everyone, but after. Do you guys have any plans on fixing this ‘bug’? Or perhaps it is not a bug but the new version of tablet mode… or, could it be because I have a details layout? Thank you!

Edit: no, I tried it with a non-details layout, and it remains a blown-up/lengthened version. Please fix!!

This looks like Google Chrome is telling us that you’re running the app on a phone. What happens if you open this app in Safari?

Uso no pc e basta clicar onde não tem link e seta para baixo e para cima. É super confortável. Eu só gostaria que não ficasse esticado! :smile:

Hi John - do you know if visibility conditions based on Desktop/Mobile has made any progress?

Other people, please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe there’s no conditional visibility based on Desktop/Mobile. You can preview the layout on Desktop/Mobile of Android/IoS now but I haven’t seen anything mentioned regarding that type of conditional visibility.

I believe you are correct as far as I know. There is no access to user agent information to know which type of browser or screen size they have.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. I think with a few lines of JS we could detect the browser window size/or screen space, although I may be missing other complexity involved in setting it up to work smoothly.

I’ll check feature requests, it would be a great addition.

Edit; here it is

3 Likes