Sync behaviour when large chunks of data are purged

Hi,

I have noticed some erratic data-sync behaviour when making bulk changes to the data in my GSheets, and was wondering if what I am seeing is normal and expected behaviour.

The app in question has about 25 GSheets in the back-end, and around 2500 rows in total across all sheets. Due to the nature of the app, on a weekly basis I purge the data on about a third of the sheets, and repopulate them with fresh data. (The sheet header rows are left intact during the purge, so that my relations/lookups/etc don’t break). During each purge, around 600-700 rows of data will be removed and replaced.

What I have noticed is that more often than not when Glide re-syncs after a purge there will be lots of gaps in the data - both when viewed via the data editor, and the app. Generally one or more columns in several sheets will be completely empty. It always sorts itself out after a while, but this can take several re-syncs and refreshes of the app before everything is back to normal.

So I have two questions:

1. Is this normal and expected behaviour?
  2. If it is, are there any techniques I can adopt to improve the sync behaviour when I’m making these bulk changes?

thanks.
Darren

Just giving this one a bump.
Has anyone else seen this behaviour, or have any advice to minimise the effect?

I have had this issue as well. I would love to know what we can do to “purge” and refill this data.

I know I use import range in google sheets, and I do some large data dumps that get moved around before they finally land on the google sheet that the app is connected to. Sometimes half of the information does not come through it’s rather frustrating.

I know that if you delete the header rows you are hosed. But I do not know how to fix this issue.

Does anyone have any recommendations??

If you are filling a sheet through a formula, it’s important to have static headers that aren’t part of the formula. Otherwise if glide resyncs while the sheet is completely empty, it can cause issues.

What I would do is manually add in the headers in e first row, then put your formula in the second row, but do not let the formula grab the headers from it’s source sheet…only the data.

@Jeff_Hager I have done that and do that now that I know. But I still have issues with not all of my data popping up when I open my app and it’s on the sheet correct and if I hit refresh in the editor it refreshes.

The apps that are having these issues are pro apps and they have sync with change or log in.

1 Like

Not sure then, unless maybe the Google api gets confused with such a massive change in the data.

That may be the case. When we update all of the data it clears out 8 sheets with 5,000 cells per sheet. Our updates take about 10 minutes till the data get to the correct google sheet but sometimes it can take longer to show up on the app.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I no longer experience this issue. I still have a couple of apps where I regularly purge and replace large chunks of data, but this no longer seems to cause any problems. At some point, it just stopped being a problem.

1 Like