Sports news app

Hi Glide community,

First of all, I would like to send many thanks to the Glide team for such an impressive platform for us to bring our app ideas into real life. Prior to this, I have not had any experience building an app but I am very glad I have found Glide via ProductHunt. The platform has grown a lot in the past year and I hope the team will find much more success in the coming future.

Today, I would like to present my app with the hope that my ideas can inspire others to build things that can be helpful for their own work.

A little back story, I’m 22 years old, from Vietnam and have followed Arsenal (the English football club) for the past 17 years. Having access to English articles since a young age made me realize the difference in coverage and insights between English or European media compared to Vietnamese.

Therefore, I decided to build my own news aggregator team on Facebook and called it “Arsenal Magazine in Vietnam” or in short, AMVN to deliver the latest news & insights for Arsenal fans in Vietnam. We translate everything Arsenal related to bring them to the Vietnamese community here. We did publish online magazine issues in the past but focus on delivering daily news now.

Since many people may find browsing for news on their mobile phones more convenient, I have decided to build an application for AMVN this summer. Here’s the link to the app: https://7xxjc.glideapp.io/

I have also recorded a video to show how we do the navigation: You can watch it here.

For more details, what do we have on the app?

Navigation panel: Includes specific tabs for News, Insights, Calendar & Video.

Home tab: Includes all latest news from the aforementioned specific tabs.

• News: One feature news, the hottest news I want to show individually and then 12-13 other latest news that users can scroll horizontally below. Users can access the specific news tab using the golden button. The specific news tab includes all news (which has news from last 5 days), each specific news item includes related news, videos & articles.

• Insights: 3-4 latest articles/insight videos, can read right from the home tab or access Insights tab via golden button to read and access all articles.

• Videos: Includes one feature video that can be directly clicked and view on the home tab, 4 other videos below that can be viewed inside the item. Like the 2 parts above, users can access the Videos tab by the golden button.

• Calendar: Shows the info of the latest result and the upcoming match for Arsenal. When users access the Calendar tab using the golden button, they can furtherly choose to view “Results” (finished matches) or “Fixtures” (upcoming fixtures).

The results page will have videos of goals, extended highlights & player of the match stats. The fixtures part will contain team stats obtained from BBC and expected lineups from Guardian.

Chat: Native from Glide, for people to report issues or just talk to me.

Donate: Information for donate.

I hope I can receive feedback from the community, especially the Glide team. I am open to any questions from you. Have a nice weekend!

7 Likes

You’re app is fantastic! Very good job :+1:t2:

1 Like

Thanks Christophe, if you have any recommendations or questions feel free to send them my way. Have a nice weekend!

1 Like

Impressive! I’ll look later more indepth and come back if I have suggestions!

1 Like

Thanks a lot for taking your time to review this, highly appreciated!

Bố cục và nội dung thân thiện, được đó bạn.

1 Like

Cảm ơn bạn nhiều, không nghĩ là mình nhận được bình luận từ đồng hương ở forum này :sweat_smile:

Simply wow!
It’s an amazing app

1 Like

Well done!

1 Like

Mình cũng như bạn. Chờ đợi cũng hơn 01 năm rồi mới thấy đồng hương.
Hãy xem tin nhắn của cá nhân để giao lưu trao đổi kinh nghiệm nhé

1 Like

How do you organize your Google Sheet and app to have the homepage with different lists, tile layout etc?

Thanks David, means so much to receive a reply from you! Hope you guys at Glide have nice holidays.

Hi, here’s the link for the Google Sheets, don’t hesitate to ask me if you need any further info.

Here’s how I currently setup the Home tab.

1 Like

thanks!

1 Like

@ThinhDinh - great app.

I’m adding a news/announcements link similar to yours. How do I setup a view similar to yours with a main news item and the past news scroller ? What are the components I will be using for that ?

I used a very old settings for this (I made this a year ago), I used a QUERY inside the app where the filter “Main news” is TRUE, just to give you an idea.

I think you can do this with the new toys Glide give in the past year. Set up a boolean column, have an inline list for the main news (filter Main news = TRUE) and another one for other news (filter Main News = FALSE).

Yes, that worked. But how do you toggle between limited visibility of the news items with a “See All” to show everything ?

It automatically adds a “See All” when you have like 11-12 items, I don’t remember the exact number.