Show a screen only on opening the app, whoever the user is (signed or anonymous)

Hi 🙋
I know there are ways to hide tabs for onboarding users.
But I want sth else.
I need a “door” entry screen that shows Everytime you open the app, but whose icon you never see in the bottom tab menu.
No matter if the user is signed, about to sign or visits anonymously.

Everytime you open the app.
But only once.

Not per session.
Once per opening.

My concern is to spare the nb of icons that appears in the icon menu.
If there’s a trick to show a limited set… It’s s ok too. on condition the set is clickable not décorative :grin:

Thks for your attention :cherry_blossom::slightly_smiling_face::compass:🙋

@Uzo does something like this in his Code Book app. He may be able to chime in and give you a hand.

1 Like

Thks @kyleheney :slightly_smiling_face: He made a door, indeed. But did not hide the icon tab afterwards…
Not sure it’s possible.

You could use @Uzo’s approach with the button and give it an action that sets a column to a specific value. That value could be used to hide the tab. The only issue is that this couldn’t reset when the app is opened.

An “on open action” has been a feature request for a while, but I don’t know if it is ever something that will see the light of day!

2 Likes

Yes. The pb is that there’s no way to reset any status to show the tab again on app opening. As long as you don’t ask the user to “declare” s.he is leaving the app (and s.he can be disconnected without knowing), there’s no way to reset that value.
And the pb is total for anonymous users. As you cannot distinguish an anonymous user from another. And I want to keep the freedom to visit without prior sign-in.
It would be so much easier to have a “home screen” as a starting screen, a dedicated type of screen. Like a Profile Form is a dedicated Form.

True. This is only possible if the app is public, and not public with email. This way, using user-specific column, the cache wont save when the user enter the next time.

1 Like

Wait Lucas, my app is Public. User sign in (Google) to see their name + privileges like favorites, private notes, submit changes. Are you saying there’s a way?

Once they sign in, the cache will save for this user. So, as you said, the user can click and “open the door” - doing an increment or sth like this - but when the user close the app and open again, glide will save that click to open the door because the user has already signed in. Makes sense?

1 Like

Oi Lucas, haven’t you replaced the Tab bar with image/buttons before?

So as an example;

• you have four Tabs that have the icon/buttons hidden
  • your onboarding Tab is the first one in the GDE (top of list)
  • you replace the Tab bar with three images/buttons that would replicate Tab icon/buttons
  • images are swapped out, or other CSS can show the “active” Tab
  • the image bar is on Tabs 2, 3, and 4 only
  • whatever the onboarding is on Tab 1, there is a button to go to Tab 2
  • after going to Tab 2, Tab 1 is hidden/inaccessible until the user closes and reopens the app

Maybe I just dreamed this up?

1 Like