Shopping Cart feature without Stripe

Hi everyone! This is Leandro from Argentina
Amazed by this incredible product.

I am working on a dummy ecommerce app, and I want my customers to be able to browse my products and finally “make an order”. This order does not have to occur online… I mean, I would be happy if at least I received an email with the items that this customer wants to buy (and their contact information).

The Shopping Cart feature works really nice, but it only supports Stripe and Stripe is not available for my country. Is there any workaround that I could implement to allow users to “add” to their cart and then by tapping a button, submitting their order and info to me.

Thank you!!!

2 Likes

What you could do is create your own cart instead of using the built in one. What I would do is add an ‘Add to Cart’ form button on the item details screen. You can set up the form to show the item and then get additional info, like the quantity and anything else you would need. Write the user’s email, the item, and any other related info to a cart sheet. In the sheet, also include a column to indicate if the order is fulfilled.

Create your own cart tab that will point to a placeholder sheet with just a column heading. Add an inline list to the tab that will show a list of items from your form response cart sheet. Filter it by signed in user and where the Fulfilled column is not true.

In the cart tab you could add a form button to submit the order. It wouldn’t contain any details of the items, but you could go through the sheet, once you get a new order record for a user, and mark all of the items as fulfilled.

This is a really simplified way to do this and it could get much more complicated depending on what your needs are, but it’s just an idea to get you started.

5 Likes

Similar topic here.

Thanks for your post. I have a question about the placeholder sheet. what is the column heading? and how to add an inline list to the Cart Tab?

It’s just a sheet with any heading so glide recognizes it The sheet and the heading don’t serve any purpose other than to give you a blank tab in the app to place any components you want, like a button or an inline list. Just set the tab to the Details style layout and add the components you need on the screen.

Thanks Jeff,
I was able to add the inlist as well as the form button to move the item to order table, my challenge now if I have more than 1 item in the cart when I update Order table how can I have multiple items for 1 order ?
Again thanks for your support.

How did you get a list on the left and a list on the right on pc?
(Lists on the left do not scroll horizontally on pc.)

You just need to make sure that you are assigning the same order number for any subsequent items. There’s millions of ways to approach apps that have homemade cart functions, so it’s really hard to give a straight answer. Whenever a user purchases all the items in their cart, you need to find a way to mark that order as complete so it’s not used again. A lot of this can probably be done with relations and rollups or single values columns to get the correct order. Or the order can be stored in a user profile sheet until it’s completed.

Honestly, I try to avoid giving advice on e-commerce apps with homebuilt carts. There’s just too many variables in how you have chosen to design your app that can affect how the cart works.

3 Likes

is there any tutorial available about how to do this?

Hey UZO, your app is not opening.

This app no longer exists