Share link to specific record publicly

Hi,

I’m looking to utilize Glide as an order status page.

And whenever a specific order reaches a certain stage, We will send out an email with a URL to that specific order to our customer.

The URL in Glide is the row ID- yet because of the structure of how collections work in Glide, The URL will contain a breadcrumb to the previous page which is the collection containing all the orders. Which we don’t want to be visible to anyone.

We could add a filter for no one to actually see any of the items in the collection, but that will probably result in the direct URL not to work.

Any suggestions?

Could you make the Breadcrumb component conditionally visible?

The other option could be to create a separate details screen (show new screen) that doesn’t have the breadcrumb, and link to that.

And if I go the route of creating a detail screen, can I link to a specific record in the URL?

I believe so, yes.

Got it to work!
I’m hiding the breadcrumbs.

Any suggestions on how to create custom filters for public apps? since no user is logged in- so i can’t utilize the columns in the users table to filter values from my collection.

so how do we do custom filters without the users table? is it a user specific column with a single value column?

not sure if it’s doable since sql is my data source so i can’t add a column in glide.

There are lots of ways to do custom filters, but yes you need to use User Specific columns. For non-signed in users, a simple approach is to sit your screen on top of a single row helper table, and then work from there.

I can’t comment on the SQL aspect of it, as I’ve not yet used any SQL data sources with Glide.

single row helper table won’t work in my instance since it has to be a deep link to a screen/record_id within a public app.

Catch 22…

@Robert_Petitto any thoughts from the master?

I would use URL parameters. Create a tab based off of a single row table. This tab can be hidden from navigation if needed.

The single row helper table has a template column to get the link to current screen (create a variable and replace it with link to current screen). Use a query column to query the order where rowID is included in template column’s deep link. Create a single value column to get the “whole row” from the query. From there you can use look up columns to bring in the data you need into the helper table.

The best part is that this table has zero basic columns which means it’s completely user specific.

Let me know if you need a video.

I’m not sure I understand.

We have an Invoices table.
Each invoice has many items related to it.

We want to send users a unique link to specific invoice record where they can see all the items and their status.

I’m aware that I can create a deep link to an invoice record by appending the SQL UuID for that particular record to the link.

What I don’t understand is how your suggestion would allow me to

1. Send a unique link to a particular invoice record (if I’m utilizing a helper table)
  2. Allow the user to apply custom filters (to filter items based on a status or delivery_date) when the app is public

The issue you’re trying to solve is allowing users to see their invoice without navigation to other invoices (by clicking “back” or “breadcrumbs”), yes?

If so, then, yes, it will need a slightly different setup than what I described above.

So, here’s what I would do:

1 Like

OH DAMN!
This is genius.

I’ve thought of pushing a variable via the URL Parameters but wasn’t aware that this feature already exists (I’ve wanted to use it in the past to prefill forms).

Your solution is beautifully clean and simple!
Will have it implemented shortly :))

1 Like

Nice! Ya, it’s a form of Dynamic Page Content. We need to come up with a name for this method so we can refer to it here in the community.

I would call them prefilled URL’s (how it’s referred to in gForms)
It essentially enables so much! Was a pet peeve that it didn’t exist in the past :sweat_smile:

You can utilize it for so many things, from email campaigns to dynamic portals. The possiblities are endless.

And it’s relatively secure, only pulling relevant data (as long as the record ID’s are randomized such as UuID in SQL)

Niice, something I tried building in '21 :sweat_smile: