Question about video upload / Glide storage

Hi All,

Scenario:
User uploads a video through the app >> video is stored on Glide.
Once the video is stored on Glide >> it’s being pushed using Zapier for storage on S3 (since Glide has a limit on storage).

Question:
What’s the best way to delete the video from Glide once it was pushed to S3? (the rationale: to free the space on Glide).

Thanks!

Once the url for the glide storage is removed from your sheet, it should be deleted from storage within 30 days.

3 Likes

Oh wow… I wasn’t expecting this behavior.

Is there anywhere I can see which videos/files are stored for my app and how much size?
I just want to stay on top of it to avoid service disruptions.

Thanks!

It’s hearsay from what I’ve read in the past. I’m not sure how much they enforce limits at this point or if that procedure actually happens. I don’t think there is currently a way through glide to see how much storage is in use. It’s probably just thrown into a single large storage bucket if I were to guess. Your best bet would be to keep track of those urls outside of glide and periodically visit the links to see if they are still active or not. I’m not sure how you could track storage size of each file, other than to download each file. At this point it’s kind of a gray area to me.

2 Likes

Hi Ronnie,
I was wondering if you could explain how you used zapier to move to file?
I am having some issues with that.
Thanks

Sure.
I set up a zapier action from Glide to S3. Every time a user uploads a video, it triggers the Zapier and pushes the file from Glide to S3.
The Zapier action setup in Glide is to have value 1 as the name of the file (choose a column to hold the file name) and value 2 is the column that holds the address of the file on Glide.
Then in Zapier, you need to map value 1 to the key (= the name of the file on S3) and value 2 to the file field.
If it’s unclear then message me in private and we can take it from there.

1 Like

How can the glide users get access to the file in S3 once it’s placed there? I don’t see how they would know the download link… Thoughts

I believe the Glide generated link won’t offer a download option, at least in iOS. To show your users the video, point a video component towards the column where you store the uploaded video.

On iOS it’s hard but you can still get to the share button and from there share it to other services such as Drive that will allow you to download.

@rmst60 once you store your file on S3, you take the link to the file and place it in your Google sheet (ie you need a column for S3 link). Once you have the column with the link in Glide all you need is to point the video component to that column as @ThinhDinh said.