PDF thumbnails not showing up in List view

Thumnails that in PDF format do not show up in List view, but the very same does show up in Columns view.

See screenshots.

2nd screenshot
Screenshot

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve never used PDF thumbnails. So is the “image” url actually a url link to a PDF file? Are they special PDF files or do all PDF’s have a default thumbnail?

Yes, they are normal PDFs. The one in the screenshot is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxrKuJkRv1M-a3JRNzkwRlYxUFE/view

A related problem is that images hosted on Google Drive also do NOT work as thumbnails in the LIST view, but they DO work as thumbnails in every other view.

1 Like

I can confirm that I have the same issue with PDF’s.

I am not seeing the same issue as you with Google Drive hosted images. My images show in list as well as other views. Maybe verify that the list is pointing to the image column.

Thanks @Michael_Thomas, will pass on.

It’s so cool when the community discovers PDFs work as images before you knew it :stuck_out_tongue: That wasn’t on purpose. I will see what can be done about thumbnails, but the fact that they don’t work tells me our image provider probably doesn’t fully support PDF as an image.

2 Likes

@Jason I assumed that was a feature. Bonus! It’s so smart it’s starting to code itself. :wink:

oops. I made a mistake. The area where google drive images don’t show up are in Rich Text markdown. I have to use imgur instead.

1 Like

So, if I want PDFs to be viewable by users within my Glide app, do I just need to create a button with Web View option, and provide the link to the PDF that’s stored within my Google Drive?

@spencerb,

That seems to be a way. Or you could use the thumbnail and add the web view action to it.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Ok sorry, don’t see an option to use the thumbnail. Could you explain further? Thanks.

If I’m not mistaken, you can display the pdf link as an image. This will work as a Thumbnail. If you display it in an inline list you can set that inline list to the web view action.

1 Like

Maybe I missed this part, but did you make the pdf file viewable to all via the link. If you dont do this it will not show up.

I have a PDF employee handbook that I did it this way and made every page another cell link so my employees can swipe through each page. But each pdf had to be made public.

1 Like

Have you tried using webview for your document? I think you just need one.

This could be another option. I’ve started wrapping PDF urls in a google docs viewer url to view the pdf more nicely withing a webview component. It seems to work very well for the most part, but sometimes it’s hit or miss if the PDF actually opens. Haven’t really taken the time to figure out why.

Hope if helps.

1 Like