Overlay view Introduced Significant Lag and Other Issues

In testing my app I realized that since my app uses a lot of lists, it was a poor user experience to constantly be sent back to the top of the list each time you went “back” out of an item. I found advice from the community to switch to an “overlay” view instead (@nathanaelb and @NoCodeAndy, which fixed my described issue for the most part, except that on certain lists it still returned to the top for some reason).

However, switching to overlay has introduced so much lag that it’s an even worse user experience. I’m noticing upon tapping a list item there’s anywhere between a 0.5-3.0 second lag between “tap” and the list item opening. And when it does open, there is more of a visible judder to it opening. The timing is inconsistent and I can’t figure out any pattern as to when it’s faster or slower. Before I changed to overlay, it was nearly instant (see difference in screen recordings, although the touch gesture is hard to accurately capture on my screen recording).

It also appears to be caching the images on each page for less than 1 minute and reloads them almost every time, but this doesn’t occur when it’s not set to overlay.

Overlay Example

Standard Example (I think it’s called “current”)

1 Like

It’s weird that “overlay” would introduce significant lag in this case, since it’s just loading the data required for the overlay on top of what you have already loaded. I would suggest submitting a ticket.

2 Likes

I’m on the non-profit tier, so I don’t think I have access to support.

@ThinhDinh Since I don’t have access to a support ticket, is there anything else I can do to make it known?

I’ve done some more testing and there’s definitely increased lag between “overlay” and “current”.

@NoCodeAndy can you look into this? Thank you.

@ThinhDinh - Bumped it over to the team. Thanks for tagging me. :+1:

3 Likes

I’ve done some additional testing and there’s also increased lag with “slide in” compared to “current”. “Overlay” and “slide in” seem to have the same amount of lag.