Optimize Image action

Here’s a small new feature that I think many of you will find useful on Friday afternoon. We’ve created a new Optimize Image action that can do exactly what you expect. If you give it a big fat image, it can make it into an optimized smaller version. This can help you cut down on your storage in Glide, especially if your users are uploading very large images taken with mobile phone cameras.

Please try it and share your feedback!

22 Likes

What’s this David? :eyes::shushing_face:

2 Likes

A test :wink:

3 Likes

CANT WAIT :smiley:

1 Like

In order to have an optimized version we would have to spend 1 update per image. Honestly I think this should be included in the service and pricing. Optimization is an integral part of a properly built webapp, but if we cannot have a native image optimization and it will cost us an extra update per image, then I think I’ll host my optimized images.

What we need is image size validations before uploading, not after the fact or some kind of restriction options that could be applied in the file/image picker components.

1 Like

We’ll add that too.

We pay to resize your images. We don’t expect our provider to give that to us for free.

3 Likes

A size validation before upload would be amazing!

Just to make sure: an image uploaded in a form counts towards the quotas even if the form is not submitted? (instant upload to your provider)

I believe this is an action feature to fix the image and is different from validation. This option will be very useful for users who have no understanding of image specifications. If you want validation, you can use a JavaScript column, and the code can already be found in threads in this community. I believe it’s free, but your users will need to process their images outside of Glide.

That’s cool. Any chance it can convert the images to a format like webP or AVIF instead of just resizing it?

2 Likes

It now always converts to jpg.

1 Like

In the example, the action is ‘scheduled’. Is this feature available? How can we create a ‘scheduled’ action?

I’ve noticed this function on https://staging.heyglide.com/ for a while now, but they still haven’t made it available for testing on https://go.glideapps.com/

No ETA, but they’re testing it. As @l3oy8231 noted above, it’s in pre-product stage.