New Avatar generated images display with sharp corners in a cards layout with round edge settings - in production even though GDE shows them properly

The feature is not called “Avatar Generator.” It’s just “Generated Image.”

We want to add more types of generated images as well, so you can quickly get some eye candy in your app.

4 Likes

I have seen it referred to as “default avatar” with “generate image column” so it got stuck in my head that way.

Yes, this is a big step toward not having empty cards and tiles!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

@Jeff_Hager Thank you for sharing adorable.io with me, I really like the style of the avatar example on their site. I don’t mean to burden you and of course willing to sort it myself, but do you know how you actually use that site with Glide? I can’t for the life of me find anything on their page about using their service. Just the “try it out” which shows the example! Is it possible to use their service to generate unique avatars for users within Glide?

1 Like

There is a lot of info in the post I shared above. I can’t take any credit for what the others found and shared.

But it’s my understanding that you would simply create a template column that joins the first part of the url https://api.adorable.io/avatars/285/ with any column value you want to use as your unique seed value. RowID would be good in this case. So if you combined the 2 parts in a template, then you get the image url.

Example:

https://api.adorable.io/avatars/285/K1EG0jRJR0K0OHbz4OFcZQ gives you this:
K1EG0jRJR0K0OHbz4OFcZQ

https://api.adorable.io/avatars/285/jeff_hager gives you this:
jeff_hager

2 Likes

I looked at Robert’s post but maybe I didn’t understand or maybe I missed something. I will review it again! Thank you Jeff - your instruction about the template column is very helpful to get me started!

It’s a very similar concept used here:

And it’s similar with how you can used Cloudinary for customizing images on the fly.

3 Likes

@Lucas_Pires I played with this a little more in the Production environment. Something seems off there. I could add the Generate Images column, but it wouldn’t show anything with the ‘From’ set, unless I then change the ‘Generate’ type. But clicking Done didn’t make it stick. It created the column, but without images. Something seems to be wrong there. No problems in staging though.

3 Likes

@Jason Will these issues be resolved soon please? There is now another issue (newly discovered anyway) - in tiles layout using generated image the corners are correct but the title doesn’t show on some of the tiles. Every which way I turn to find an interim solution, there isn’t one. Unfortunately I jumped on this feature the minute you released it and we’re 19 days into the bugs so I’m really hoping for these issues to be prioritized on your long list. Let me know if I can help. Here is a recap of the issues:

1. Image component does not contain the generated image in any of the sizes. Importantly, when you fix this, please ensure that we can still select 1:1 setting for image component and perhaps you code the generated image to show as a square or other…what I don’t want is to lose the 1:1 option amidst the solution. Right now when set to 1:1, the generated image runs the length of the tab x3.

2. Cards layout with rounded edges, using generated image, show with sharp upper corners in production.

3. Titles with rounded edges show properly but sometimes don’t show their title. See second tile in generated image below.

Please preserve the dynamic nature of the images if possible. I hope the solution isn’t to make them static!

:upside_down_face: :pray: :blush:

3 Likes

@Deena your app is looking so amazing :star_struck:

2 Likes

Thank you Lucas - I have a long way to go but I’m really inspired by your designs (especially the salon app you posted about a long time ago). :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’ve looked at your Ritual app a lot. Going to check out the chat now!

2 Likes

Appreciate :heart_eyes: Some tricks we can do simply with images, as in Sallon Beauty as you saw there

2 Likes

Yeah, really just STUNNING.

2 Likes

Thanks!!

Btw I gotta update it :thinking: when I did it I didn’t know how to set everything for availability feature and let people book.

2 Likes

Yes, booking in salon app might be a critical feature. :grin: :rofl: :innocent:

1 Like

Totally :cold_sweat:

1 Like

@Mark

Um… inline list with card style

1 Like

This is a know bug involving generated images.

1 Like

Yeah, only reporting about Avatar too

2 Likes

+1
Generated Image in Card Avatar is not maintaining styling of small circle.

2 Likes