Managing Menu Bloat - Hiding Items?

Hey Glide Community,

I need help with my tabs and menu items. I’m coming up on 12 different options and it’s going to be overwhelming for the user if they see all of them at once. If I “hide” the menu, it becomes locked, and I can’t navigate to it.

In GlidePages, I have the ability to uncheck “Show in Menu”, but I don’t see a comparable feature in GlideApps.

I did a forum search and saw a reference to discussions about CSS edits, but I couldn’t find anything that answered the question specifically. Does anyone know how to achieve this?

Your help is much appreciated!

Honestly, I would probably categorize and merge multiple tabs together. For example, how about Community, Circle, and Beneficiary tabs, and inside each tab you can navigate to different screens through button actions, or use a choice component as a navigation tool to hide or show different components that serve different functions. I’m more inclined to create separate screens instead of multiple tabs. You would probably have to rebuild your screens though.

Choice component to hide/show multiple components that serve different functions:

Floating buttons to navigate to different screens:

Buttons to navigate to different screens:

5 Likes

I second what Jeff suggested about consolidating multiple tabs into a single tab.

In terms of navigation to “sub tabs”, in addition to the options that Jeff mentioned, another option that works quite well is to use an Inline List - usually a tiles layout, although it doesn’t have to be - with each list item navigating to a separate screen. Setting this up just requires a custom action with a separate logic branch for each list item.

Here’s an example of how it can look:

5 Likes

Hm, I see what you’re getting at. I’m still working to understand the considerably large suite of features/functions offered by Glide. Coming from GlidePages first, I was hoping there would be a similar feature to make pages invisible, but this seems like a good work-around.

I don’t mind having to rebuild pages if the UX is improved.

Thank you, Jeff! I’ll report back on the redesign.

1 Like

Looks like I need to play around with inline lists.

Can you expand a bit on what you mean by a separate logic branch for each item? I assume you mean “on submit” button actions?

You can set different actions for whenever you click on an inline list item. If you choose a custom action then you can place IF conditions in that custom action to perform different actions based on a value in the row of the item you clicked. For example, you can have set an If condition to open a new screen if the item contains Circle. If the item you clicked says something else, then you can have it perform a different action.

3 Likes

“If you choose a custom action then you can place IF conditions in that custom action to perform different actions based on a value in the row of the item you clicked”

This provided the detail I needed. Thanks again, @Jeff_Hager!

1 Like