đŸ‘Ș Make Array — the newest column type!

Correct.

Here’s a use case that saved me a bunch of columns :smiley:

Just thinking about this one after I made the video, I guess the other way without Makearray would be a template to create a joined list, then a split text column, and then carry on from there. But still, Makearray definitely makes these things easier :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

That’s a real neat use case!

Here’s another one

Hi @Robert_Petitto
let me ask, usually i remove duplicate data using the “uniqe” formula.

My question is, can this be done on glide? If so, how?

Two columns:

• A lookup column to create an array from your email column
  • Then use the Unique Elements plugin to extract the unique items

If you need something that you can use in a choice component or an inline list, then you need to coerce the array into a list. Use the “Miracle Method” for that.

3 Likes

Hi @Darren_Murphy
thank you for your feedback, but i don’t understand yet, how to find the data
**Kode Arisan** in uniqe element?
because that’s how I tried it on uniqe element there is no option to put the column **Kode arisan**

@agung_Taufik you need a array column.

A lookup column to create an array from your email column

:point_up_2:

sorry, I don’t understand how unique elements work, can you explain it with pictures

the results I want to get are like the example in the expected results column
sorry i bother you

You can watch this video. Robert shows how to do this!

Another use of Make Array : Displaying City, State .

There are times when your users won’t fill out a city or leave both fields blank but you want to display something pretty based on what they filled in. A template column leaves awkward punctuation and missing fields. A combination of a Make Array and a Join List rectifies that.

Could also clean up the City & State columns with Text Plugin columns first to make sure they’re capatilized.

8 Likes

I seem to get the desired functionality of a basic array column for roles when I use Airtable. I create a table of users in Airtable and I have a separate table for projects. On the users table, I link to projects, and I can select many projects. I then use a lookup field on the projects, looking up a records id, and it gives me a simple looking comma separated values in Airtable. But in Glide, that list shows up as an array colum, but it doesn’t have the green highlight. And I can use it as a roles field, and it then allows me to add projects to a user in Airtable, and that then controls their access in Glide like a normal roles field, where project id is then a row owner field. Here are some screenshots to show what is happening. This is a pretty neat feature for controlling access to something like projects with a unique id.

1 Like

I am using this make array column to combine emojis from different columns. e.g. column 1 shows a :zap: sign if certain conditions are true, column 2 shows a :pick: sign is certain conditions are true. My Make array column is Column 3 and is combining Columns 1 & 2.
Now I want to use the list component on this sheet and use the make array column as my image column. It only shows the first icon in Column 3 and not all the array components. So for e.g. if the make array has :zap::pick: it will only show :zap: in the image. How do I fix this so my list shows :zap::pick: where there are multiple icons.

Does it work if you use a joined list column to join the emojis?

Same issue with Join Array As well. Only the first icon of the list shows up.

So these are a series of emojis in separate columns in a single row?
I guess they must be if you were using MakeArray.
Use a template column instead.

I think it’s just how the inline list handles the emoji as an image. It only takes whatever is first, so anything we do here won’t work. I also think it’s hard to support 2+ emojis in a single image due to sizing problems.

1 Like

oh, inline list - I missed that.
Yeah, agreed. You’d need to pre-prepare a separate image. Or maybe do something with Cloudinary.

1 Like

Emoji is just text, so I guess I would just use a Template column to join the emoji columns together and display it in any list settings that accept text, such as Title, Description, etc.

1 Like