Image Carousel on New Glide

Hello! I’ve been testing the new Glide layout and started an app using its own tables. I’ve created 5 columns to storage images named Image 1, Image 2, Image 3… hoping they would be merged as it would happen if they were created on Google Sheets. However, that did happen, and I can’t find a way to combine them or create an image carousel. Any thoughts on this?

Columns will only automatically merge into an array column if you use google sheets. That method doesn’t work for glide tables. What you will want to do is create a template column that merges each individual column together with a delimiter between each value in the template. Then use a Split Text column to split on that delimiter, which will convert it into an array column.

12 Likes

Used this method the other day, works like a treat :+1:

4 Likes

My images are not creating an array. Done on Google sheets

Untitlednn

In my use case I created 4 image columns, one template and one Split Text … this last one is the carousel … it works perfectly

template

3 Likes

Yea I ended up doing what Jeff suggested, Thanks! It’s weird bc it worked with just the image columns before.

1 Like

Nowww it created an array :relieved: . If I wanted to change an image, how can I do that since the images are not separated anymore?

@Jen_NYCP you just need to change one of the images in the original columns like photo 1 or photo 2 etc

You can use an image picker for that if is to be changed directly in the app

I see, so the only way to change it is within the app itself on the front end? I guess I have to set visibility to the app developer email?

Hi!

I wanted to see if image carousels still create an array or do the image stay in separate columns?

To be clear, image carousels are created from an array. The images do not stay in separate columns if you use Sheets and put them together to form an array.

1 Like

Got it, so there is no easy way to change the images once an array is created?

I believe you can still edit them separately in an edit screen with multiple image pickers, but I think in the data view it’s a no.

I see thanks! That won’t work in my case since I might need to swap out many at one time from different businesses.

Would an image picker be helpful if I want to upload a photo for a certain business profile on the go? I have found it difficult to do this on my phone within the GDE.

I would just make it visibile to myself correct?

Yes that’s true. Make it visible only to your email (or for admins, if you have other admins).

1 Like

Can we hide tabs? or it is only data within a tab? The thing is the business profile won’t show up in the app until a photo has been uploaded for them, so I would need a way to add a photo without having the profile displayed yet. Thanks!

Yes, tabs can have visibility settings in the same way that components can. In this case, you could do something like “where image is not empty”

2 Likes

Oh, thanks Darren! It’s been a while since I really got into Glide like this again.

I have the following set up:
Hamburger Menu–> New Tab–> Inline List of Businesses–>First I had the action for this set to view details which gave me the same layout as users will see on the front end for their profiles and added the image picker here.

Then I checked off independent and the show form action where I can just add the image picker from two different parts of the app. but it doesn’t link to the business I clicked from, it’s blank, and all businesses have an image already…Not sure what I have to do here?

Yes, a details screen for the same sheet will be the same everywhere you use it in your app. Took me quite a while to wrap my head around this, and not understanding how it works has caused me to come unstuck several times.

Although I’m not fully understanding your use case, I suspect that Independent Screen Configuration isn’t the right option for you here. Instead, what you most likely need to do is just hide/show the image picker depending on which part of your app the screen is being viewed from.

2 Likes