How to make an Image Carousel

how about 2021 version? glide can’t automatically create the special column

Did you do the columns in a Glide Table? If you have them in the Sheet, do you place them next to each other?

Hello all, does anybody know if instead of an image carousel, could an image change every time the user visits? For example, let’s say I’m making a tourism/city discovery app for NY. Maybe one time I open the app, I want an image of Times Square but the next time I visit, I want a picture of someplace more unique to locals like Union Square as locals won’t really care about Times Square if they live there.

Thanks in advance!

You can do this with Single Value → Random

4 Likes

Odd, I just created 3 image columns, Image 1, Image 2, Image 3 next to each other, but in a table.
I cant see the automatic column.
Am I missing any special rules?
do they have to be at the end of the sheet.
this is a glide sheet with other columns, but they are next to each other.
defined as images

4 Likes

That Works, Thanks Darren.

Ok, let me test this baby a bit more!!!
So is there a way to have a dynamic text overlay on the carousel.
ie. for each Image 1, 2,3 field, I have an overlay text field, that is also dynamically based on the picture I am showing.
Tried and array, but that doesn’t work in the same way.

Maybe I am pushing you too far, but maybe there is some form of dynamic relationship or way I can make the caption field dynamic in some sort of way based on the image being shown!!

Come on, really impress me, If I am not already!!
David

1 Like

I don’t think there’s a way to do it natively as the carousel swipe does not trigger anything. Would have to make the overlay in Cloudinary I guess.

1 Like

@daspearce you could do something similar with an inline list - tiles layout.
Otherwise as @ThinhDinh says - use cloudinary to change the image by providing an overlay with relevant info

Inspiration for overlays can eg be seen here

1 Like

just for Laughs,
isn’t that a carousel ???
ok it’s not funny !!!

3 Likes

I use it automatically with this script

@import '//glidetools.ml/app-widgets/slideshow/1?slides=5&interval=2';

but when I created some columns from the same names like Image 1, Image 2, Image 3, etc. I haven’t found the main column which adds the images
please help…[file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/yufdy.pdf](file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/yufdy.pdf)

Please attach a valid screenshot here so we can debug the issue.

Have you put them next to together in the Sheet or are you using Glide Tables?

I was also having the issue where the array field was not showing up and it turns out that even though I put the columns next to each other in the data editor, they were not next to each other in the google sheet. Once I moved them the array column appeared. This needs to be added to the documentation because it was EXTREMELY frustrating.

1 Like

@PabloMFalero I think we can have a doc update regarding the issue above in the array column page.

1 Like

This is exactly what I’m thinking of presenting as the option. Especially since the idea is for the images to be ads, so they all will most likely be clickable and direct to a URL. I’m still unsure if the fact that it doesn’t automatically rotate between ads that it’s a less interesting product. But still, lets see.

@Christopher_Breen How did you end up doing it and has it worked for you? (I guess since the original post is from 2019 you’ll probably have the best experience to share).

With the things that have changed in the past couple of years, u could probably do something with a math column to get the current time, a roll dice column triggered by the time, and use that result as an index to find an image in an array of images.

2 Likes

Yep, I’ve done exactly that to rotate images randomly. The nice thing is that it uses zero updates.

1 Like

Thank you and @Darren_Murphy too.

Sounds logic, but I’m still kind of a beginner at all this, so please help me out a bit more to see if I got the idea correctly.
Let’s say I have a separate database for sponsors. Each brand has 1 corresponding image and one corresponding URL. I’d then have to add two new columns: a math column and a die roll column. I’d probably also have to add a number column to identify each item…

What would the math formula look like if I wanted it to rotate, say, every 10 seconds?

In each table that would be the source of the screen that had an ad, here are the steps:

• Create a math column and type in ‘Now’. Then replace ‘Now’ with Now. This will give you a date type of column with the current date time.
  • Create a Rollup column that returns the count of rows in the sponsor table.
  • Create a Role Dice column. The seed value will be the math column date. The number of sides will be the Rollup column value.
  • I’m not 100% sure, but I think you need a math column that calculates the Roll Dice value minus 1. (Indexes are zero based, meaning 0 is equal to the first value, so we need to subtract 1.)
  • Create a Single Value column. Select Get ‘From Start’. Row will equal the final math column above. From will be your Sponsor table → Whole Row.

You don’t need to number the columns in the sponsor take.

You should be able to use the single value row add the source of a collection. Then you can change the action on the collection to open a link instead of showing details.

3 Likes