👪 Make Array — the newest column type!

Looks great!

Sweet, literally. Away with join+split :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Great news! Hope the next step will be to allow use text values in horizontal scrolling cards, just like image carousel. May not be clickable, just for presenting smth like big numbers or so.

Is nobody going to comment about the “We’re all sweet” thing? :wink:

1 Like

Did you hear we’re all sweet in Bob’s video? I remember hearing something like “because I’m sweet”, which Bob definitely is, so Bob is right as usual! :joy:

2 Likes

Another use for the “Make Array” column:

Create a clean delineated string from columns that may or may not contain values:

Keep 'em coming!!! How else are you using this versatile column type?

7 Likes

Would you agree with the following written version:

Turn a comma-separated list of n elements into a comma-separated list of p unique elements

Comma-separated list (n elements)
→ Make array
→ Unique array
→ Join: result is comma-separated list (p unique elements)

(The comma could be anything.)

I wouldn’t use Make Array in this case. I’d go:

• Split Text
  • Unique
  • Joined List

I think if you pass a Joined List to Make Array, all you’ll get is an array of one item - which contains the entire joined list.

4 Likes

Correct.

Here’s a use case that saved me a bunch of columns :smiley:

Just thinking about this one after I made the video, I guess the other way without Makearray would be a template to create a joined list, then a split text column, and then carry on from there. But still, Makearray definitely makes these things easier :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

That’s a real neat use case!

Here’s another one…

Hi @Robert_Petitto
let me ask, usually i remove duplicate data using the “uniqe” formula.

My question is, can this be done on glide? If so, how?

Two columns:

• A lookup column to create an array from your email column
  • Then use the Unique Elements plugin to extract the unique items

If you need something that you can use in a choice component or an inline list, then you need to coerce the array into a list. Use the “Miracle Method” for that.

3 Likes

Hi @Darren_Murphy
thank you for your feedback, but i don’t understand yet, how to find the data
**Kode Arisan** in uniqe element?
because that’s how I tried it on uniqe element there is no option to put the column **Kode arisan**

@agung_Taufik you need a array column.

A lookup column to create an array from your email column

:point_up_2:

sorry, I don’t understand how unique elements work, can you explain it with pictures…
the results I want to get are like the example in the expected results column
sorry i bother you

You can watch this video. Robert shows how to do this!

Another use of Make Array : Displaying City, State .

There are times when your users won’t fill out a city or leave both fields blank but you want to display something pretty based on what they filled in. A template column leaves awkward punctuation and missing fields. A combination of a Make Array and a Join List rectifies that.

Could also clean up the City & State columns with Text Plugin columns first to make sure they’re capatilized.

8 Likes

I seem to get the desired functionality of a basic array column for roles when I use Airtable. I create a table of users in Airtable and I have a separate table for projects. On the users table, I link to projects, and I can select many projects. I then use a lookup field on the projects, looking up a records id, and it gives me a simple looking comma separated values in Airtable. But in Glide, that list shows up as an array colum, but it doesn’t have the green highlight. And I can use it as a roles field, and it then allows me to add projects to a user in Airtable, and that then controls their access in Glide like a normal roles field, where project id is then a row owner field. Here are some screenshots to show what is happening. This is a pretty neat feature for controlling access to something like projects with a unique id.

1 Like