Make apps work offline

Hey team
Following up on this
Is there an ETA for this feature?
@Mark

@david

This would be sweet.

Also interested in these capabilities, to view, edit and add while offline, then sync later.

Iā€™d suggest that offline add/edit capabilities be something that can be enabled or disabled for particular apps, or components of an app.

Is this still on the way? Coming soon?

1 Like

@david, We would definitely need the ability to fill out forms and upload photos OFFLINE. With all the news about SpaceX floating around perhaps this will be the end of offline! Regardless I can only assume thereā€™s going to be scenarios. I have a team of employees that require the need to offline submit data. Iā€™ve built out a massive app and LOVE the Glide interface. However, Iā€™m stuck with the offline mode. Iā€™m literally looking at other platforms as we speak. I need to utilize Airtable as the database and I think I can achieve what I need with Glide. However, the offline mode is a roadblock and Iā€™m now frustrated that Iā€™ve put so much time and effort constructing this app to now realize my need for an offline capability. I would gladly be a beta tester for this purpose. A timeline of the potential offline mode release would greatly reduce my stress. Thank you!

1 Like

Just curious, whatā€™s your exact use case for the offline mode?

To take pictures within a form. We would need the photo and form data to submit OFFLINE and then when online SYNC.

So what prevents your users from using the normal way of taking photos using the image picker? Is that not a reliable Internet connection or is there something else?

Youā€™re making it sound like you know something I donā€™t? How can you open the app if thereā€™s no internet? The goal would be to pre-sync and go offline. Then use the app offline, attach photos and fill the form out and submit. When returning to a data connection have the app auto sync in the background. Iā€™ll admit I donā€™t understand enough about the app and how itā€™s constructed as a web app. Perhaps Iā€™m missing something?

Thatā€™s why I asked if your users do not have reliable Internet connection at the place they take photos.

Personally I think offline syncing is a pretty hard task for a web app to do, more so for a ā€œtemporaryā€ storage like inside a form. Normally, when we have connection, I imagine there is a middle ground place in the forms for Glide to temporarily store your data before they actually write it when you press submit.

In an offline state, I donā€™t know where that should be stored to be synced later, probably they will have to store somewhere on your device, because thereā€™s no connection to any online storage. That takes up space on the userā€™s side.

To make this offline actually happen, I think Glide must have a mirrored structure of their ā€œtemporary storageā€ I mentioned above on each userā€™s device. Not sure if itā€™s technically possible as of now.

I found some articles from the past years about using Service Worker API, PouchDB and CouchDB but not sure what Glide uses for their ā€œinternal databaseā€. If we ever comes to a solution for this, it must fit with the Google Sheets side as well as their Glide database, which has limitations for inputting data at the moment.

Just my 2 cents.

I understand. That makes sense. Iā€™ll have to come up with a workaround. I appreciate your help.

1 Like

Probably the best bet is just to ask users to take photos then upload them later when they have connection. I know itā€™s not ideal at all for your case but we canā€™t do more than that at the moment.

Let me know if I can help more. Have a nice day.

1 Like

I think that offline data would allow the devs of the apps to add many functions to the app e.g. content that cannot currently cannot be accessed without online access. In our case, all our content should be somehow stored in order to be used offline.

Yes, It would be awesome to have that option. I live in a rural area and would benefit from this for sure.

bumping up.
I read that PWAs can naturally store offline content (like cache) and that lists can at least be shown without the internet and then if users want to submit a form, there will be a notification to go online.

Please!! I really need this feature. Iā€™m making a project which this feature is indispensable. I need that to users see their code in the app!

Any news guys?

David from glide indicated in January 2020 that the functionality was close - but glide must have had other priorities.
It is a crucial functionality for grand events where internet connectivity is often lacking

2 Likes

I see your point and his. But, i see this feature as priorite. If glide had this feature, would be ahead of thousands others no-code app websites. Itā€™s been an entire year since he said he was close

Could you not build into the app a way to store the data entered temporarily then when it goes back online it will update, that way you can use it in offline mode for data entry.

3 Likes

Anyone from the Glide team have any news on this? Pushing out this feature for just the public apps for now (and continuing to work on it for Private) would still be a major win.

Thank you!

1 Like