List of users who have favorited an item

How do you generate a list of users who have favorited a specific item?

I have a list of “chat channels” which users can favorite. I call that “Follow”

I’d like to display a list of users (photo/name) who are “following”/have favorited that channel.

It would look similar to what @Robert_Petitto has done with his Group Chat template but I can’t figure it out.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Unfortunately, you can’t use the native “favorite” button for this use case as it’s user specific (only the signed in user can see the list of favorites). Instead, you’d need to create a favorite button of sorts and use the trebuchet method to gather a list of emails per “chat channel”.

If I have time later, I’ll create a video, but until then check out @Lucas_Pires’s tutorial:

1 Like

Thank you Robert, I watched the video and will try to reproduce it.

If you do have time to create a video it would be most appreciated (and I think helpful to the community here too).

Here you go:

6 Likes

@Robert_Petitto Such a great video. What visual component did you use to get the icons to stack like this?

users

This is gold! Thank you @Robert_Petitto. I had come up with the “Follow Log” approach but this is much better.

Is this mostly one-way? I.e. you can “follow/subscribe” but not “unfollow/unsubscribe”?

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Great as usual! Thanks.

Exaclty. Basically a variation of this CSS I came up with.

1 Like

The video shows one way, yes. There is a way to undo, but it’s a bit tricky. Here’s how:

2 Likes

Thank you @Robert_Petitto.

If I understood well, the Trebuchet is probably also the best workaround for Multi-Selection in a Choice component?

If I am correct, given the frequent requests about this (key) feature, and the multiple answers which are not always the same, hopefully Glide team will make 1 tutorial of reference …

Thanks

Exactly. All of my “multiselects” using an inline list uses the trebuchet method.

Thank you. Does it works (more or less) that way?

(In Database)
1- ‘Trebuchet columns’ (text field, temporary USC, template, if for the comma etc)
2- ‘Choice items’ list

(In Screen)
3- Inline list with ‘Choices items’ as Source
4- ‘Trebuchet’ Action on the inline (write in the temporary USC etc).

Then whatever the action resulting from the multi-select, it is related to the entry field (ex. filter > is included in “text field”)

Thanks

Thanks @Robert_Petitto.

When we see the number of use cases of the Trebuchet Method, it would be uncredible if Glide built a native feature around it… Any chance in the short term @JackVaughan ??

Thanks

Agreed. I just used it 4 times yesterday in an app I’m building for a client. Really need “add to array” / “remove from array” actions. Course, that would also warrant the creation of a new “array” column type most likely.

Hi @Mark, do you have this in your ‘short term’ roadmap ?

We’ll be planning our next quarter soon, then we’ll see.

2 Likes

Thanks @Mark.

@Lucas_Pires @Robert_Petitto, the fact that Glide next quarter roadmap is about to be defined is a chance to provide Insights about the multiple use cases of ‘Industrializing the Trebuchet’.

Maybe could we provide a List of illustration?
My top one is Multiselects in a Choice component

2 Likes

In a recent app, I used it several times:

• multiple selection using an inline list (display an inline list with action set to trebuchet to result in a cell of comma separated itemIDs)
  • location check-ins (button on a restaurant’s details page that trebuchets the signed in user’s email to a cell of comma separated list of users that have checked in)
  • ratings (use rating component and a button to increment a user count column and a rating sum column so I can ultimately create an average rating per restaurant)
  • badges (“claim badge” button that appears when it meets certain criteria for a user. Button has trebuchet action to ultimately result in a comma separated list of emails that have claimed that badge).

Mind you, the trebuchet method is really just a way to save rows. It is NOT an improvement functionally over adding rows to a new table and then creating a multiple relation to that table. However, the benefit to the trebuchet is that it requires ZERO additional rows.

3 Likes