Issue with datasheet link - inline or related list

Hi,

I have been trialling Glide for a couple of weeks and have built a small app to track parts used in our company, the one issue I have and I can’t seem to find or figure out a solution for is when I add a main page with an image for each of the products, my aim is for that image click to take me to the product categories and items within that.

This works for the first product but when I change the source datasheet for that product it changes all of them so no matter what product image I click it links to the categories and items for the first one.

I have set up a variety of different relations and have looked over sample templates to copy the structure from these but the above issue remains.

Thanks for any help.

1 Like

You’re on the right track with relations.
Can you provide a couple of screen shots that show the structure of the concerned tables? Once we see that and can visualise your setup, we should be able to guide you to get it right.

Hi

I have currently removed all the relations as I couldn’t get it to link as required but essentially the data I have is as follows.

Spreadsheet for Make and Model of Vehicle
Spreadsheet for Categories
Spreadsheets for Items relating to each Make and Model, currently on separate spreadsheets for each one but tried in one spreadsheet with relations but couldn’t get it to work either way.

I have tried relating all three in various guises, I know it is something I am doing incorrectly and have watched all the videos etc.

Okay, well again it would be much easier if I could see some sample data. But anyway, I’ll make an educated guess.

Just dealing with Make/Model and Categories, you probably want something like this:

• Categories Table
    – Basic column for Category Name (Sedan, 4WD, SUV, Sports, etc)
    – Multiple Relation column that matches the Category Name to Make & Model → Category

• Makes & Models Table
    – RowID column (this becomes your VehicleID)
    – Basic column that lists the make and model (BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, etc)
    – Basic column that lists the category for each vehicle (Sedan, 4WD, SUV, Sports, etc)

With the above in place, you could start with a screen and add an Inline List that uses your Categories table as a source. As you click into each Category, you will get a Details Screen. On that screen you can add another Inline List that uses the Categories->Multiple Relation column as a source. This will give you a list of all vehicles that fall into that category.

That’s it in its very basic form.

For your Items, it’s much the same. You say that Items relate to Vehicles, so in this table you will need:

• Item Description
  • VehicleID

Then back in your Makes & Models table, you can add another multiple relation column that matches the VehicleID to the Items->VehicleID column, and then you can use this column as the source of an Inline List on your Vehicle details screen.

That’s all fairly generic advice, but hopefully it’s enough to get you on the right track.

Apologies I didn’t think the sample data would have been of use without the relations I had previously used. See images below for data. The above makes a lot more sense, the vehicle ID and row ID relation is where I think I was going wrong.

Yeah that really helps a lot.
Okay, so it looks like your Categories need to be related to Parts instead of Vehicles. And then Parts should relate to Vehicles. So here is what I would advise:

• Vehicles Table
    – Add a RowID column (VehicleID)
    – Add a multiple relation column that matches the VehicleID to Parts->VehicleID

• Categories Table
    – Add a multiple relation column that matches the Category to Parts->Group

• Parts Table
    – Get rid of the Make and Model column, and replace it with VehicleID (this is a more robust approach, because if you ever change the description of a vehicle, nothing will break)

That should be all you need.

Thank you so much for that, this makes a lot more sense, I think I did everything bar this!

With the parts table is it better that all vehicle parts reside in this then use the vehicle ID to identify as opposed to seperate tables for each vehicles parts, screenshot below of how the table structure is setup currently.

2022-07-19 10_43_50-GLIDE

It’s much better to keep all your parts in a single table.

Perfect, have done that now and it is working as intended, appreciate your time and advice.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.