If a CAP in the email, not matching

My app’s URL: cs.backtoset.app
Apologies if addressed before, didn’t see it.
So after a few hours of not figuring out why things weren’t matching, I FINALLY discovered that somehow users who had caps in their emails (manually added in a list) didn’t match the emails right via relation to their emails in users list. After literally going line by line to see what was different I noticed the few with issues had caps in their emails entered by an admin, but not in user list. Once I changed it, the problem was solved. So, that was fun :slight_smile:
Any way to avoid this in the future as it may still be a problem as people add someone’s email in a section then when the relation tries to find them, it can’t

Relations are case sensitive. I believe that any email entry via user sign in or possibly through an email component as well, will force lower case??? If you are typing in a list manually and using split text to split them apart for use in a relation, then they aren’t necessarily recognized as email values. What you could do is create a column in your sheet with an arrayformula to force lowercase =LOWER(email, email2, email3). Then use then split the value of that column and use it for your relations.

1 Like

Yeah, the sign-in forces it as you mention, but a user in another place is able to manually enter with cap (copy & paste). Wasn’t using a split, these were emails entered by another user (essentially “add to my project”) and they would copy and paste from a list they have and when they put it in it wasn’t reading as an email. But as I typed that last part it made me realize I hadn’t made the entry an email entry, I made it text entry. Rookie mistake. Thanks for talking it out! Your suggestion will help me fix the ones already in, so super thanks!

2 Likes

The last time we had a bug report like this it was because of the wrong type of entry component as well, so hopefully there would be some kind of a warning when people use text entry on an email column.

2 Likes

This issue is also applicable to special columns in forms – they force lower case which obviously breaks relations. Impossible to control letter case everywhere in an app on top of how users enter it.

1 Like