I made an app for my mom to record all her poems

My mom is a wonderful poet. I made her an app where she recorded over 380 of her poems.
Her art is now in one place for the world to listen to → https://artedejulia.glideapp.io

Here is one of my favorite poems by her → https://bit.ly/3dYOd20

Users can submit their own recordings of her poems.
My mom can review all submissions and approve them from the app itself.

Poems are in Spanish but thanks to some Google Translate magic, there is a switch under the about screen that translates (ahem… attempts to translate) all her 380 poems into English.

Thanks Team Glide for making it so easy to create this mom-son project!

17 Likes

Great project! Congrats.

1 Like

I love cases like this!

1 Like

How do you let people record poems in the app?

1 Like

There is a form button where they can upload an MP3 file with their poem recording.
They would use a separate voice recording app to generate the MP3 file first.

1 Like

Ah ok! Thanks

great work.

1 Like

This is wonderful. I have listened to several though I only speak English.

I am interested in the “translate toggle” -

1. Cannot find it in the app?
  2. any screenshots of the spreadsheet would may be helpful.

Thanks

1 Like

Great app @grumo!

I already have some poems I made years ago I’m posting nowadays in Instagram :grin: should I do an app too? lol

1 Like

Yes, you should! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nicely done, but I don’t see the translate option in the “About” section.

Hi Mike, the translate button only shows up when you’re logged in as a user. If you attempt to favorite any item it will ask you to sign in. Once you’re signed in, you’ll be able to change the language.

The problem is that the language change is applied globally to all users. This means that if anyone changes the language, all current users would suddenly see all poems translated. It would take to program additional logic to apply translation to only specific users.

1. Hi Mike, the translate button only shows up when you’re logged in as a user. If you attempt to favorite any item it will ask you to sign in. Once you’re signed in, you’ll be able to change the language. The problem is that the language change is applied globally to all users. This means that if anyone changes the language, all current users would suddenly see all poems translated. It would take to program additional logic to apply translation to only specific users.

2. Screenshot:

1 Like

Try this out.

I have made the translate Boolean choice user specific, so there is no need to sign in and the translation is NOT global.

The switch to Spanish feeds into the User Choice. Then the If: Spanish changes from the first column to the second.
(the original language and the translation are all in the same sheet.

BUT, if the setting will not ‘stick’ - if they quit or swipe out, it will go to default.

3 Likes

That’s a good solution. To apply a global translation per user, conditional visibility could be applied so only English or Spanish screen components are shown based on the user’s language choice. It would be a bit tedious because it would require duplicating all components for all screens.

That’s the same logic - easy but a little hard working - that I’m using in my agency and my financial app.

1 Like

have not tried this but could you make a Spanish Tab and then duplicate it and just change the cells the components read from.
Then make the TABS visibility conditional?

Just thinking out loud.

1 Like

The perfect gift for mother’s day - great job!

1 Like

That would be great if there was a button to duplicate an entire tab. Now, all the components would have to be replicated manually.

Right Click -

2 Likes