How to write to 2 different sheets in one edit form?

I totally understand and appreciate it a lot! But for others, I think there are business opportunities too :wink: And I could be a client! Of course for only a year, because then I know everything too :wink:

1 Like

Definitely an opportunity for someone who wants it.

1 Like

@Darren_Murphy @Jeff_Hager
To me, it still feels strange that you canā€™t personalize a sign-up / sign-in page.
Add a hint text, add some components, etcetera.

Is that just me?
Or do I miss something?

It depends on how you define each of Sign In and Sign Up. I think in the Glide world, each is attributed a slightly different meaning.

• Sign In: this is just the process of authentication, assuming your App/Page requires this. With Apps, we have minimal customisation options available on the Sign In page. You can add a logo, background image, customise some of the text, and thatā€™s about it. Pages have less (for now), and all you can really do is customise the greeting.
  • Sign Up: this is usually taken as the process of onboarding a new user after they have Signed In for the first time. With this, you can pretty much do whatever you want. You can have a single screen that just asks for a few simple data points, or you can have a multi-step process that asks for their entire life history. Itā€™s completely up to you :wink:
2 Likes

Yeah it would be nice to have more freedom with the sign in screen. At least, you can change the background, text, and add an image along with adding terms links and stuff to the login screen on apps.

If I were to make a guess though, I would assume that the sign in screen is locked down primarily for security reasons and for consistency. We canā€™t add things that may mislead users. We canā€™t add code or CSS to manipulate how the screen looks, or anything that may alter how the sign in process works. Itā€™s a process that glide maintains some control over so the authentication process works as intended. Putting authentication into the control of user who donā€™t understand security can get scary. Plus, full customization of the sign in screen probably isnā€™t something that Glide has ever felt was necessary. They gave us some options though for limited customization.

Now if you really wanted a better experience, which I think you are already doing, then you keep the app public and make sign in optional. Then itā€™s not such a cold stop with a sign in screen thatā€™s presented before the app is ever seen. That at least gives you an option to present some instructions, or a useful pre-signin screen prior to showing the sign in screen.

3 Likes

I think signing up with all the necessary info in 1 step is better than signing up in 2 steps. But thatā€™s not the case in the Glide world :wink: ? Sometimes you need to explain to potential users some things for example.

Thanks, @Jeff_Hager. Yeah, Iā€™ll find my way!

1 Like

Glide has the name prompt, which Iā€™ve never completely understood why and when it shows up. Kind of annoying sometimes, especially if you donā€™t use the name anywhere. But I agree, being able to fill in all of your profile information and sign-in in one shot would be nice, at least in a more native way. I think at a bare minimum, the option to add a name and profile picture would be nice since those are key user profile fields. On the flip side, it would probably be annoying to fill in all of your profile information, just to enter the wrong email or have pin issues and lose all of that entry when you have to start over. At least if you are already signed in, then updating an existing profile record is easier.

I guess Iā€™m trying to think back to other websites and how the sign in and onboarding process works. Take banks for example. You provide an email and just enough account information to identify who you are and verify if you have an account with that bank. They send you an email with a link or a pin to confirm you are who you say you are. Then after youā€™ve completed your sign in process, only then can you navigate to your profile and update it as needed. Looking at the facebook process, they will ask for a name, email, age, sex to verify you, but once youā€™ve completed your initial sign-in, only then can you have full access to modify your entire profile.

Personally I just adapt my apps to fit within the limits of glide. If I canā€™t get the exact look, feel, and flow that I want, then I will try alternatives until Iā€™m satisfied. In most cases, the end user has no idea how the app was supposed to work on paper. All they know is how it works once itā€™s been published.

I donā€™t have a wide audience of users, so only need to make myself happy. Thatā€™s one reason why I donā€™t build apps for others. They would have requests that I just canā€™t fulfill with a no-code tool. That would drive me crazy, since a suitable alternative would probably work just fine. Thereā€™s limits to a walled no-code experience.
Some things can only be done by building an app from scratch with code, where you have full freedom to customize as you wish.

Regardless, itā€™s hard to please everyone in the no-code world. You give people more options and customizability, and then others will complain when itā€™s too complicated with too many features. Thereā€™s a fine line between simplicity and allowing full customization.

OK, went off track there. Iā€™ll stop now. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Itā€™s hard to please everyone in every world :wink: But that shouldnā€™t stop us to try to make it a better world :-). Thanks @Jeff_Hager !

1 Like