How to present multiple columns related to the row key in a chart

Hi,
Let’s say I have a portfolio of stock holdings so I made a screen with a list of stocks per week.
Now when go into a stock details, I want to show a chart that correlates to the stock row columns - example - let’s say I have 3 accounts so I want to show each account percentage of this stock. This information is in 1 row where the stock is the key and the columns have account A %, account B % and account c% but in the data for the chart I can choose only 1 column.
How do I solve this?

Glide charts are based on data being on multiple rows, not columns. The only exception is the bar chart, which will kind of let you use data in both rows and columns. Glide charts are kind of limited. Instead, many of us tend to use quickchart.io and build a url that will return an image representation of a chart. If you search the forum, there are several posts in regards to quickchart. It gives you a lot more flexibility as far as chart types, customization, and the ability to plug data in any way you want. Once you have the url built, then you simply display it anywhere in glide as an image.

2 Likes

Hi Jeff,
quick question for you if it’s ok?
Assuming I was to use quickcharts.io, as i’m looking for a line chart - will the data presented in the chart update automatically each time I update the sheet that is feeding the chart? Or do I need to go in and update the chart behind the url each time? It’s to demonstrate price movements on an investment app, and these are captured on a monthly basis.

Getting the hang of glide and its capabilities, but it certainly feels restricted when it comes to presenting data via a chart/graph component.

thanks

@ashleyling

In short: Data changes should be reflected automatically in the charts on Quickcharts. My understanding is that the process is Data → URL parameters → Quickcharts. Change the data and the rest happens automatically.

I have never used Quickcharts so I am not speaking from experience. However a basic idea of Glide is that when you create, update or delete data from a table, this change is reflected in the front end (the app that the user sees on their phone or in the browser).

To what extent is this change reflected:

• It’s almost immediate if the data is stored in a Glide Table. I am not sure because I don’t use Glide Big Tables, but I would assume it’s also almost immediate if the data is stored there too.
  • It might take a little longer, maybe up to a few minutes, if the data is stored in an external data source such a Google Sheets, Excel, Airtable and SQL.

In the case of Quickcharts, the data changes are reflected in a URL that is used by Quickcharts. The delays should be limited to the time it takes Quickcharts to generate the chart from the URL, and I would expect this to be near realtime.

(Note that once an app is published, on all paid plans, you can toggle a setting to publish changes manually. These changes have to do with layout changes, not data. So this has nothing to do with your question but it’s still useful information and related to understanding which changes are reflected in the app.)

2 Likes

Regular tables, yes.
I haven’t actually tried quickchart with Big Tables, but I think it would be a bit of a challenge because of the current limitations. Especially not being able take a joined list of a template. Could probably use some JavaScript to get one working, but not a simple thing to do.

Depends where the update happens. If the update happens in Glide, the chart will update immediately, regardless of where the data is stored.

It is :slight_smile:
I’ve used quickchart a lot, and it’s brilliant.

3 Likes