How to I set up my app so that it does not require anyone to sign in?

Hello all,

I have an app that I would like to share via the link and QR code. How to I enable visitors to use the app without having to sign in?

Another issue is that my app is not appearing as it should for some people, it is showing a ‘dark’ background where in my app in Glide, and on my phone, it is showing correctly as a white background?

Finally, the ‘install on homescreen’ button does not work very well, is this an issue that others have and what can I do to ensure that people can download/install the app?

Thanks everyone in advance,
Simon

1 Like

Settings → Privacy, then select:

• Public
  • Optional sign-in
  • Anyone

If you want to force either light or dark them, go to Settings → Appearance, and then uncheck the box labeled “Match device’s theme”

It should work, as long as your users open the App in the correct browser; Safari on IOS, Chrome on Android.

2 Likes

Thanks very much @Darren_Murphy, enjoy your weekend :grinning:

The new install button still doesn’t work on Android, and like I’ve stressed several times, frankly I don’t understand how it ever could work on Chrome/Android at least. I have yet to see an example of it working for anybody with Android. Now I often see the popup showing up when opening any app in the browser that requires sign in and is not installed. It’s actually blocking the Continue button. Clicking the Install button does nothing as usual, which leaves the only option to dismiss it just to get to the continue button. I would love to see a video of this working correctly on an Android device…showing both where it works when the popup shows automatically, and after clicking on the install button from the side menu. I can ignore the fact that is shows in the side menu, but it’s popping up on initial opening of the app and blocking the Continue button. The install button is completely unresponsive.

This feels like a feature that was untested on Android devices. It’s confusing for users, because it just does work.

1 Like

Hi @Jeff_Hager do you think that this is an issue that is being worked on and going to be resolved soon as it seems like a fairly major issue? Simon

I have no idea. I haven’t directly submitted the issue to Glide through their support form, but I’ve posted about this several times in the forum, as well as in the expert slack, but I have yet to see any kind of official response.

It works correctly for me with the automatic pop-up. On my device, it does not have an “install” button, but simply asks if I want to install it to my home screen. When I click “yes”, it works.

The pop-up that comes up by using the menu button does not work, as you have seen.

Glide, when I submitted this to support, said it is an ‘OS’ failure. I would love it to work either way, but I have noticed that, for me, if I install it with the auto-pop-up, the button to install does not appear in the ribbon menu.

1 Like

Yes, the standard chrome install popup works just fine, but as usual, it’s a one and done thing. Once you dismiss the standard chrome popup, then you can never trigger it again unless you clear cache and permissions for that site. It’s Glide’s version of the popup that has never worked, whether it pops up automatically or if you use the option in the side menu. I’ve even seen the standard popup show up on top of the glide popup. Well, that’s weird, because you have to dismiss the standard popup to get to the glide popup or even fully use the app, and at that point, there is no possible way that glide can ever trigger the install event again…especially on chrome/android. It’s a feature that just doesn’t make sense to me. I’m sure safari/ios works differently, but this just makes no sense as to how this could ever work on android.

I don’t understand how this is an OS failure, unless using Android in general is the failure. Unless I’m completely misunderstanding something, it seems to me that it’s documented that a website can not trigger the install procedure at will, unless I’m not understanding something or I misread something. As I understand it, at most, glide can capture the beforeinstallprompt event and call it at a later time, but it’s still a one and done thing. Maybe I’m wrong, but that’s what I’m getting out of what I’ve read. I doesn’t seem like glide is even capturing the beforeinstallprompt event because it fires immediately when the app is opened for the first time. To fully use or explore the app without installing it, you have to dismiss that standard popup. That’s why I think the new install option doesn’t work. The event has already been dismissed, before you can even access or see the new install button, and can’t be triggered again.

As outlined here, you can listen for the beforeinstallprompt event, save it, and trigger it at a llater time. But if a user dismisses the standard chrome installation popup, then the beforeinstallprompt event will never be called again.

I’m happy to be proven wrong, or at least see it working on an android device. But in my experience, I’ve never seen the standard installation popup show after being dismissed. At that point, you have to open the browser menu and install the app that way.

This is what happens when both the standard chrome popup as well as glide’s version of the popup are both displayed at the same time. Notice how the standard popup is overlaid on top of Glide’s install popup.

At this point, I could install from the standard popup, but if I were to dismiss it to get to the glide popup, then the glide install button is unresponsive because I already dismissed the install event and it can’t be triggered again from the website. This install button just doesn’t do anything.

I don’t know. It just doesn’t make sense to me. It would be awesome if it worked correctly, but it doesn’t for me at least. Like I said, unless someone can show me that it works as intended on Android, then I’m happy to be wrong, but I’d also like to know if I need to be on a specific Chrome version or Android OS version for this feature to work. I’m using Chrome 105 and Android 11. Or do I need to change some flags in my chrome browser to make this work? I’ve seen a handful of reports about this issue now, and I feel like it’s much more widespread and causing a lot of confusion for android users.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying! That makes sense. You cannot use the app without dismissing the initial popup, and once you’ve dismissed it the OS perhaps won’t let it be triggered again.

Yes, it is confusing to both the developers and the users.

2 Likes

If only they could put the install button at the top of the screen, then we could see both.

I am definitely the type of user to check out an app prior to installing it, I get more and more selective about which apps I download these days with both storage and security being an issue.

I am having to over-explain how to download my apps and would really love a solution that is more user-friendly.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.