How to display multiple items

In my RV app, I wanted to have a clickable list of all the items that needed to be checked at certain milage intervals. Example, what needs to be done at 40,000 miles and next at 60,000 miles.

I put the Milage breakdown in each ROW, and the items in Columns. If you look at these screenshots you can see what I did. In the app I can see the milage intervals in an inline list, but I don’t know how to display all of those items that align with the milage interval.

May I ask for some help with how best to do that? Thanks so much.

1 Like

you have the wrong data structure…
you don’t need to create separate columns item 1, item 2…
just put them in 1 column and in the next column assign milage to them… then just simple relation or filter to connect these

Thanks Uzo, I did the item 1, Item 2 so I could use an Array, but I guess that was not correct. So you suggest I just put them all in the same cell? Use commas?

no, separate rows, and on the next column assign milage

1 Like

The structure can be like:

Inspection/Items/Related Item
Every Month/Check Oil Level/Interior and Exit lights
Every Month/Check Oil Level/Tires for Wear and Pressure

etc.

1 Like

Oh, I got ya. OK let me give that a try…

you need only 2 columns for this project… you might use a separate sheet to put just inspection mileage for the choice component… to make assigning easier.
having all tasks in one column will make it easier to create check marks for completing tasks

3 Likes

If this second Items column is related to the array you have then you only need to have 2 columns, Inspection and Items as Uzo said.

1 Like

no, the other way, all tasks are in separate rows and assign inspections to them in the 2nd column… unless you have other plans on how to use that data…
in my mind, I’m thinking to put one more column with timestamps, when the task is completed… so joining tasks in one column would be problematic

Is this correct?

no, unless you have something else in mind…
separate all Maint Items to separate rows… so you can control them… like if someone only changed the oil, they can put a checkmark and time stamp on that and maybe add how many miles the car has at the moment… then you can send an alert what work needs to be done depend on time passed or milage… time control will be good to remind about insurance, inspection…

3 Likes

@StinsonOwner As Uzo is suggesting, try to place each maintenance item on its own row (a row is a line in your table).

OK, sorry it took me so long to “Get it” but I have now broken each item out into its own ROW. What next? Do I need a separate table with the milage? How is the best way to show these in the app. I like Uzo’s suggestion of being able to show if and when each was accomplished!

I have been playing with creating a relationship columns, but not getting what I need. Maybe a couple of step by step instructions would help.

For setups like this, I like to have a separate table, so in your case, yes, a separate table to list the mileages would be good. Then you can create a multiple relation in your new mileage table that links the mileage value to the mileage value in your log table.

2 Likes

Thanks @Jeff_Hager, can you step me through the relation setup? I have the sheet you see in the post above and I have a separate sheet with just the mileage intervals that I copied from this sheet.

Which sheet do I setup the relation in? What relations am I matching? When playing with it, it seems to only bring back the mileage and not the items. Sorry Im so slow on this, but thanks for the help.

You would set up the relation in the new mileage intervals table. Relations look for matching values, so when you create your relation column, you will select your interval column, then match it up to the interval column in your existing log table. Also, make sure you have selected the Multiple checkbox when setting up the relation. You want to do that because you are matching one row in your mileage table to many rows in your log table.

If you are getting matches, then the relation is working. You just have to keep in mind that relations return rows. Not any specific column. You may be seeing the mileage in the relation column, but that’s just telling you that it found a match. What it shows is irrelevant.

Now that you have your relation set up, you would create a tab in your app that points to your mileage table. This will give you a list of each mileage. When you click on it, you will get a detail screen for that mileage row. Here is where you can add an inline list that uses the relation column as the source. This will then show all of the related matching log entries for the mileage interval you are viewing.

2 Likes

Im getting there, but now I have multiple intervals in the inline list. I would like to see a list of each interval, then when you click on an interval, you see the list of Maint items.

Although I will admit, this is a good display and easy to use.