How To: Build a Gamified Glide App (updated 10/6/20)

Gamify your Glide App #10: Animated and Limited Items

Create items in your store that can only be purchased once per user AND that feature slick animations to highlight their rarity!

Thanks to Gamification Guru Scott Hebert (aka @MasterHeebs) for his original post on creating animated items.

4 Likes

Gamify your Glide App #11: Card Packs and Treasure Chests

Create multi-item packs/chests to allow users to win items from your store!

EDIT: Forget the Spreadsheet formulas! Use the new Glide Single Value > Random value column instead!

Formulas. Create multi-item packs to allow users to win items from your store using the Single Value > Random column!

4 Likes

Gamify your Glide App #12: Character Classes and Stat Boosts

Assign a class type (Warrior, Healer, etc.) to your users and allow them boost their class type stats when purchasing or crafting items!

4 Likes

Thanks @Robert_Petitto, very inspiring. Youā€™re great!

1 Like

This is getting better and better.

1 Like

Hello Bob,

Iā€™m trying to create a similar onboard profile tab like you did in an app public, is it possible?
Iā€™m stuck with new user creation.
thanks

Gio

Sure! You can just use the new sign in button action.

1 Like

Thanks I will try it :+1:t2:

This is the number one most overlooked feature in Glide. Iā€™m pretty sure I mentioned how to enable user profiles in that video 4:40. Please re-watch. Otherwise, look up glides documentation on setting up user profiles. It literally takes 30 seconds.

Thank you for your response! You were right, it was easy to fix)

Gamify your Glide App #13: Random Dice Rollers!

Roll multiple types of polyhedral dice (created using @cloudinary) and get instant results!

6 Likes

Hey @Robert_Petitto,

At my school we pass out ā€œGame Ticketsā€ so you know this years weā€™re not doing it bc of that thing going around.

I thought I could come up with an app to do this, which works kinda well. My only problem is that if the teacher awards more than one ticket at the same time, the user only sees one ticket and of course can use only one.

Hereā€™s the copyable app link. https://scandalous-ray-0147.glideapp.io/

I started to work on it today but Iā€™m stuck on how to allow the teacher award more than one ticket at a time.

Thanks!

To clarifyā€¦More than one kind of ticket per submission for each student?

I want to award Billy a ā€œGood Gameā€ ticket and ā€œBest Gameā€ ticket?

Robert, thanks so much for these tutorials! Iā€™m working a lot of the early stuff into my app, but I have three things Iā€™m struggling to build out.

1. My challenges are meant to be recurring (sometimes monthly, sometimes bi-annually, sometimes annually). The group and sort within in line lists works great for completed/not completed but not sure how to add in the other variable of ā€œchallenge now due againā€. We also want to incorporate a variable that not every challenge is relevant to every user.
  2. My challenges themselves are more complicated (some have up to 10 individual tasks), so we are trying to incorporate partial credit. For instance task 1 was good (worth 1 xp), but part 2 was failed (would have been worth 2 xp), and part 3 was skipped (would have been worth 1 xp) etc. We also have ā€œrisk categoriesā€ that create additional consequences for skipping or failing certain tasks besides just missing out on xp. I have a database showing how much each task within each challenge is worth but not sure how to pull that all together with the form submissions to properly grade it for each user.
  3. Lastly weā€™d like to incorporate the option to go back and re-attempt skipped or failed tasks (in our case basically resolve problems that were found). We would reward bonus xp for going back.

It is the same ticket. Itā€™s called ā€œGame ticketā€. A teacher can award 1 or more of the same ticket to a single student.

Right now, if I award a student 1 single ticket, it works well. If I, however, award 2 or more to one student in one transaction, the student just gets one.

I hope that makes sense.

What if you show them just one single image of the ticket and then the quantity of said ticket?

I think that can be done with a relation-rollup and then when they use one, you can use another rollup to subtract it?

1 Like

Correct. This is what Iā€™d suggest. Have teacher enter quantity. For each transaction perhaps display a different image of a ā€œticket packā€ along with the number of tickets awarded in that transaction. Do a rollup of all tickets at the user profile level that sums the quantity rather than count.

1 Like

You guys are awesome.

Thank you both. Iā€™ll work on it and let yā€™all know how it goes.

Hey guys @ThinhDinh @Robert_Petitto,

I think I found out how to do what you suggested. I have a problem though. When the student uses all the tickets in the pack, the math says he has -3 tickets.

Hereā€™s the link in case you wanna check it out. https://scandalous-ray-0147.glideapp.io/

Thanks

Edit: Well, I decided to use a increment button for the packs. It seems to be working well for me.

1 Like

Is this a pro app? Arenā€™t there getting a lot of rows here? Also, when itā€™s in the template store, is it going to cost money?